GTX1650 (notebook) not working on Ubuntu16.04 (black screen & login loop)

Thanks for your reply. I’ve done as you suggest. The url is:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Y526bSZGtn/

Ok, the driver seems to be installed correctly and consistent but now the Xserver is crashing:

[     5.428] (EE) Backtrace:
[     5.430] (EE) 0: /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg (xorg_backtrace+0x4e) [0x5630c760fe0e]
[     5.430] (EE) 1: /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg (0x5630c745e000+0x1b5b79) [0x5630c7613b79]
[     5.430] (EE) 2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f97c161e000+0x11390) [0x7f97c162f390]
[     5.430] (EE) 3: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x7f97c1254000+0x14dafa) [0x7f97c13a1afa]
[     5.430] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/nvidia-430/libnvidia-glcore.so.430.26 (0x7f97bd857000+0x118b139) [0x7f97be9e2139]
[     5.430] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/nvidia-430/libnvidia-glcore.so.430.26 (0x7f97bd857000+0x118b29d) [0x7f97be9e229d]
[     5.430] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/nvidia-430/libnvidia-glcore.so.430.26 (0x7f97bd857000+0xe74848) [0x7f97be6cb848]
[     5.430] (EE) 7: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/libglxserver_nvidia.so (0x7f97bb36a000+0x8784a2) [0x7f97bbbe24a2]

Which is a bit odd since the crash looks like a know issue of the 430 driver that only happens when some non-glvnd compat libs are installed which should not be the case. Did you at any time use a 430 .run installer? Otherwise the 16.04 430 driver package is incorrectly packaged.

Yes, I tried to run a 430 runfile downloaded from nvidia official website a longtime (about one and a half month) ago. Is that the reason? What should I do to fix it?
Actually, the driver once worked well at that time, but I also tried pretty hard then. I once tried ppa install 418 and 430, they both result in normal work but login loop, then I purge them and tried 430 runfile which fail(forget about detail). Finally, I tried 418 runfile with --no-opengl-files option, the X service worked well but nvidia-smi showed no process and nvidia-settings can’t load from any available system. Then I try to install cuda through ppa, and it succeeded, all came alive. Few days ago my kernel upgraded itself automatically so the nvidia driver broke down. I was so naive that I immediately uninstalled almost everything (nvidia driver, cuda). Now I’m suspecting that I didn’t accomplish a complete uninstallation, which results in the problems nowadays.

Might be, during install, there’s a question about installing non-glvnd compat libs, if you chose Y there, that broke it.
Please post the output of
ls -l /usr/lib/libGL*
and
ls -l /usr/lib/nvidia-430/libGL*

Thanks for your reply. The result is too long to be typed out manually, so I take a picture and attach it to this reply. Sorry about the inconvenience.
Besides, I don’t recall there exists such an option during any installation I’ve been through. (Of course maybe I just forget)

This actually looks like a mistake in the packaging, nothing to do with your previous installation attempts. Maybe this can be fixed manually.
cd /usr/lib/nvidia-430
sudo rm libGL.so.1
sudo ln -s libGL.so.1.7.0 libGL.so.1
then reboot.

Thanks for your reply, this helps a little but still can’t solve the problem completely.
The good thing is that graphics console comes alive, nvidia-smi works fine and shows processes correctly.
The bad thing is that there exists a login loop as I suspected before.

Please create a new nvidia-bug-report.log.

Sorry about that. The new bug report is on http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/tQvjchWRpM/, please check it.

Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

means the command
was not properly executed. Please post another output/screenshot of
ls -l /usr/lib/nvidia-430

There are so many items in the folder that they overflow the screen a little, so I take two pictures. sorry for the inconvenience.

You made a typo on first try, please run

cd /usr/lib/nvidia-430

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much! Finally all work!!!
PS: After login some dialogs pop out and say there are internal system errors detected, and the detail is about xorg. I click cancel and nothing happens, but I still wonder if there are any potential problems? The screenshot is in the attachment.
BTW, will the driver break down again if the kernel gets upgraded or I switch the kernel? I kind of don’t wanna go through this again…

The errors are from Aug 21 and back then, there were crashes due to the driver not working. Those are just shown now because it’s the first time the desktop comes up again. Nothing to worry.
Kernel updates or switches are unproblematic, the packaged driver from ppa is broken in the GL part. This should be reported to the ppa maintainer, that the non-glvnd libs in 430 are broken and removed in 435 so should be switched to the glvnd libs, like you manually did with the instructions from post #19. So the only danger would be that the ppa pushes an update to the current driver that’s still broken so you would have to repeat the procedure.

Thanks for your help again. I’ve reported the bug to the ppa source team.

For those who meet the similar problem, I’ve arranged a list about what I’ve done since our formal conversation is too long:

1. make sure that the broken driver is removed completely
  2. install nvidia-430 through ppa source ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa (see post #9)
  3. fix the package bug manually (see post #19)

Work for my nvidia & intel hybrid cards laptop.
Good luck!

Ooooooh!Thank you very much!This help me a lot,perticully the third point.

Any updates in this issue?
Did the PPA repackage nvidia-430?
This issue is driving me crazy. I fixed it manually as #19 comment but whenever I install a package, or update, I have to do the same procedure.

Good question, the ppa package seems to be the same. I also couldn’t find any bug report on the ubuntu bug tracker, maybe just report it there and leave a link here?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1170878/nvidia-430-26-crash-in-ubuntugtx-1650-unusable

I see some gtx1650 issues including mine.

That’s just stackexchange’s ubuntu user2user help.
Ubuntu bugs have to reported here:
[url]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu[/url]