Gui problem

I would like to use the pgdbg GUI. But it seems that there is a problem launching it. I only get an empty window
I suspect Java?

Here is the I/O:

Copyright 2000-2008, STMicroelectronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Locking assertion failure.  Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb7f27767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xb7f278b1]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0xfd) [0x8ceea1bd]
#3 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0x8cfdac7e]
#4 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0x8cfc4c87]
#5 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0x8cfc4e03]
#6 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so(Java_sun_awt_X11GraphicsEnvironment_initDisplay+0x26) [0x8cfc5046]
#7 [0xb17e2028]
#8 [0xb17dbb6b]
#9 [0xb17dbb6b]
#10 [0xb17d9234]
#11 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so [0xb764c77c]
#12 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so [0xb7813598]
#13 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so [0xb764c5af]
#14 /usr/local/pgi/linux86/7.2-5/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so(JVM_DoPrivileged+0x32d) [0xb76a9d9d]

Thank you for your help !

Also, It seems that I cannot compile my fortran mpi code because of weird underscore problems in the source with calls such as : MPI_BARRIER_…
I don’t really care actually, since I’ll work from another computer, but if somebody knows the answer…

Hi luduc,

What OS are you using? What version of Java is installed on your system?

While this is the first report on this problem with PGI products, in searching the web, it is a problem with Java. While, I see several solutions, until I’m able to reproduce the problem, I can’t recommend an particular solution.

Also, It seems that I cannot compile my fortran mpi code because of weird underscore problems in the source with calls such as : MPI_BARRIER_…
I don’t really care actually, since I’ll work from another computer, but if somebody knows the answer…

You’ve most likely compiled your MPI library with a compiler that used multiple underscores so that the symbol names don’t resolve during the link. You can try adding PGI’s “-Msecond_underscore” flag to see if the symbols get resolved. Note, the best solution is to build you MPI library using PGI or use the pre-built MPICH library that accompanies the compilers.

Also, check if your code uses preprocessor directives to adjust the number of under scores symbols have. This is often done when mixing C and Fortran in order to accommodate the differences in how symbol names are decorated.

If neither of these are the cause, I’ll need more details.

• Mat

Hi,

My control PC runs Ubuntu Hardy Heron with the last Jave jre (6).
Maybe this problem has a link with all the java environment variables used by pgdbg?
I tried removing all java install, and I get the exact same messages.
I install then java5 and the situation remains identical. So I guess that pgdgb cannot detect that java is installed.
Have you an idea?

By the way, thank you for the underscore stuff, it seems to solve the compiling problem.

Best regards,

leduc

Hi Leduc,

We installed Ubuntu 8.0 (Hardy Heron) here locally but I was unable to recreate the error. I tried both before and after installing Java 6 and both times the PGDBG GUI loaded successfully.

Because of I’m unable to recreate the problem here, I’m not able to offer a good recommendation. Though, I talked with another engineer who encounter a similar problem on a different OS and found the solution posted HERE worked for him. Hopefully this will work for you as well.

• Mat

FYI, here’s a link to the full report on this Java bug http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6532373

• Mat

Thanks guys, I’ll do what I can.