HDMI Audio not working

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install ArchLinux on my Jetson TK1, I have manage run v5.8.1 mainline and get working, my pcie WIFI/BT card, Ethernet and other stuff but I still having some trouble to configure the HDMI audio on my jetson-tk1.

I have added “load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,3” to my /etc/pulse/default.pa and I can see a sink entry in the “pactl list” output. In the graphical interface, at the sound preferences output, there are two entries called Built-in Audio and Built-in Audio Stereo.

Also if I run “aplay -l” I can see the tegra-hda device, however, no audio comes out from the HDMI to my TV. One weird thing is that tegra-hda sound is not recognized as a card by pactl but only as a sink, I really not sure if this is the expected behavior.

I really don’t know what to do about this…

PS: I have publish a script to install ALARM in the Jetson TK1 at my github repo https://github.com/LordRafa/ALARMOnTegraK1

This is the output of my aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: tegrahda [tegra-hda], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: TK1 [NVIDIA Tegra Jetson TK1], device 0: RT5640 PCM rt5640-aif1-0 [RT5640 PCM rt5640-aif1-0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Also notice that this doesn’t work neither hence I thing that it the problem is not on pulseaudio but in alsa

aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Perhaps there is a missing device? Can anyone tell me how could I debug this?

Ok, finally I manage to enable the audio… I had to enable it on alsamixer because the HDMI playback device was disabled by default… ouch…

I had to add also load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:tegrahda,3 to /etc/pulse/default.pa

I still interesting in knowing why the HDMI HDA device is not detected as a card by pulseaudio. Can anyone tell my why? I can see that alsa detects it as a sound card but pulse audio only creates a sink entry… is there anyway to solve this?

OK I answer myself again, there are a couple of files that need to be edited in order to get the HDMI detected as card. /etc/asound (this only configure stuff about alsa) and/usr/share/alsa/cards/xxx.conf here is where probably the magic happens.

In the original L4T driver package there are are a couple of config files that can be used to configure properly the Jetson TK1 HDMI as an audio card.

Now I have everything working with the latest kernel on archlinux.