HDMI audio profiles become unavailable after starting SteamVR. Remains unavailable after closing SteamVR.

My graphics card (GTX 1080ti) has 1 HDMI port and 3 DP ports. Since my (original) Vive requires the single HDMI port, I use DP for my normal audio/video. Specifically, I use a DP->HDMI cable (linked below) since my AV devices require HDMI-in (ie. my TCL LE40FHDE3010 TV or Onkyo TX-NR525 audio receiver). If I open “pavucontrol” or “plasma-pa” (pulseaudio audio management applications), this shows up as “GP102 HDMI Audio Controller” with numbered profiles HDMI0 through HDMI4 depending on which port on my graphics card I am using. The single HDMI port that I use for my Vive is associated with the profile “HDMI2”. The port that I use for my AV device is usually HDMI3. When I start SteamVR, it automatically switches to the HDMI2 profile. From this moment forward, the HDMI audio profile I use for my AV device becomes unavailable/unusable. Closing SteamVR or even closing Steam altogether does not re-enable the original profile I was using, leaving me completely without the ability to output audio via the GP102 HDMI Audio Controller. It’s worth noting that other audio devices (ie. USB, AUX, and bluetooth) are unaffected by this issue.

Restarting PulseAudio does not seem to fix this issue. A couple workarounds I have discovered to get it working again include restarting my display manager (SDDM in this case) or unplugging the DP->HDMI cable and plugging it back in.

Reproduction steps:

1. Plug AV device into DP on the 1080ti
  2. Plug original Vive into the single HDMI port on the 1080ti.
  3. Start SteamVR

Here is the exact cable I am using to connect my graphics card to my TV: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C9P9TM
Here is the exact model of 1080ti I am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y13N2B6
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (337 KB)

I forgot to mention that this issue has been affecting me for about 1.5 years and did not appear to be reproducible before that.

I am currently using 440.82 and this issue is no longer reproducible.