Height/Bumpmap support in Nvidia MDL?

So correct me if I’m wrong but in the current MDLShader there doesn’t seem to be support for Grayscale Bump/Height map textures. I was wondering if I am missing something or if this is just a texture map USD excludes. I find it a little odd because DAZ studio which uses Iray has support for bump/height.

Additional question: Any planned support for substance textures directly in Omniverse applications or will it only be Nvidia MDL as to stay in the realm of hydra compliancy?

(also any news on Omniverse Machinima?)

All the best!
Dan Rita

Hey Dan,

The current OmniPBR included with omniverse does not have heightmap support (yet). Another team member may comment on this further in this post on timing of introducing that feature. This is still early days!

Additional question: Any planned support for substance textures directly in Omniverse applications or will it only be Nvidia MDL as to stay in the realm of hydra compliancy?

We currently allow for textures to be directly loaded (and reloaded on the fly) through various connectors and Omnidrive, with this, you can setup a workflow to allow for direct export from painter/designer to omniverse and have a live update.

You can check out the tutorial here if interested: | NVIDIA On-Demand

Connectors for Substance to allow for things like generated textures from an SBSAR are in progress and we hope to have news on those very soon, along with a more refined workflow for live updates.

Machinima is still in progress :) Look for additional announcements on that in the coming month or two for how we plan to roll out the features for it!

1 Like

One thing I might add. In the future you’ll have the ability to author your own UsdShade graphs with MDL. This opens a lot of possibilities including scalar bump support.

We hope to have this feature released early this year and would appreciate input.

Thanks for using Omniverse
@fpliu

That sounds fantastic, the more power in MDL the better in my opinion.

Apart from a height map, additions like an SSS and Specular would also be great

Regarding SSS, stay tuned. :)

1 Like

lets gooo woooo