Hello! i'm new!

Hello all.
First off, thanks for taking a chance on a newbie. It means quite a bit.
I saw the Jetson TK1 at the recent FIRST robotics championship, Quite a cool system!
I recently ordered a TK1 from my local newegg! (awesome)
I plan on using the Jetson TK1 (JTK1) as my autonomous drone command center!
First thing is first; I need a bit of math checked for me.
Assuming PERIPHERALS Take 5W of power, and I’m not overclocking the jetson.
I calculated about 15W maximum power at 12v.
[.img.]http://i.imgur.com/MuawXPA.gif[./img.]
so that’s about 0.8 Hours per Ah on the battery?

Okay, next question. Does the board’s GPIO suppord Analog video such as SD or S-Video input?
If I use the input (assuming it exists) can I still have a simultaneous I/O stream?
What do you put into the mPCIE slot? I was thinking Wifi?
Can I power the board using the SATA port? (instead of the NVidia port)?
Can I program the processor in assembly using the JTAG pins?
if so, is there somewhere I could look for support?

that’s all I have for now.
Once again, thanks
-tusk

Welcome tusk.

I don’t think there is any way for Jetson to directly support analog video. I’m using easycap usb devices that you can buy cheaply on ebay. You have to make sure the correct device driver is installed, then your analog video cameras will show up as /dev/videoX

Wifi/BT combo is a good choice for the PCIE slot.

I was thinking SSD, for the OS in the PCIE.
Thnks for the info.
is there anywhere I could find a pinout of the board?

There is a list of URLs which would probably be of interest, including pages which reference the PDF of the schematic and board pinout:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/793798/embedded-systems/some-jetson-web-links/

WiFi is popular on the mini-PCIe, or perhaps a USB3 adapter for use with 3D cameras. I would not advise trying to power the system via the SATA power connector. The slot is half-length, which works with full length mPCIe if you are careful with the part sticking over the edge…anything mini-PCIe works there.

JTAG is normally used on systems running bare metal and without support from an outside partitioning/installation program. The nVidia-supplied software for flash runs under Linux and eliminates the need for the JTAG. Currently there are no inexpensive OpenOCD JTAG debuggers which will work. You can still do assembler programming, but it would normally be running under the Linux environment…boot loader is also a typical place for assembler, but the provided u-boot is extremely friendly to developing, so it is unlikely you’d need to alter the boot loader itself (with or without assembler).

Some external solid state memory does not work as well as others. What does work quite well is using the boot subdirectory on a standard R21.3 release for placing kernels and any other kind of test boot with an extra entry in the configuration of u-boot to name the external SATA partition as root. This means under serial console you can pick booting the regular system or booting to the SSD partition. Serial cable required (or as I use, serial USB UART to put a serial port on the end of a USB cable). You do need (even with USB serial UART) at least a short RS232 NULL modem cable for this. The serial USB UART I use which works well on a variety of embedded projects is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156039

Welcome tuskiomi !

The power draw calculations are a little tricky, I seem to recall that the highest observed reading has been in the area of 17.5W. That’s with all the power management turned off, all CPU cores online, and all clocks turned to full speed. Like most modern embedded processors, there’s a sophisticated suite of power management tools that allows for different power configurations, such as max performance, “normal”, and energy saver modes. This is done in part by setting different clock rates for the CPU cores and GPU. When it comes down to it, the energy consumption profile has more to do with the application that is being executed than much else. The mix of the CPU and GPU use is a major factor, the number of cores, clock speeds, etc. For most people this is an observed value, rather than a calculated one. Obviously if you’re building your own board there’s a lot of sophisticated calculations you’ll need to do, but a back of the napkin sketch should be fine for figuring battery life. You can read more about power on the Jetson Wiki: http://elinux.org/Jetson/Jetson_TK1_Power . This includes information about how to connect the Jetson to a battery.

For the SSD, think about using using the SATA port. mPCIe is pretty useful for Wifi and USB expansion.

As I recall, there’s a diode which prevents the board from being powered from the Molex power connector.

As linuxdev pointed out JTAG debugging is really hardware oriented and is usually used for debugging hardware. General purpose assembly language programming is usually done “on the other side”.

The Jetson TK1 is a fast enough embedded processor where it can run a Linux desktop environment, which allows the user to use standard Linux development tools. In the case of debugging, the majority of users use the standard gdb debugger. This also means it is easy to use higher level languages such as C, C++, Python, etc. You can slip into assembler if need be, but you’re almost assured of getting lower performance than using an optimizing compiler for something like C++ unless you have a very thorough knowledge of the intricacies of the chip set (in this case ARMv7 Cortex 15) for a program of size.

This is especially true of a SoC such as the Tegra K1 (the Jetson TK1 processor) which also has a GPU with 192 CUDA capable cores in addition to the 4+1 32 bit ARM cores.

I hope you share with us some of the details of the autonomous drone command center when you get it up and running!