Help for buying CUDA low-end workstation

Socket AM3 uses a HyperTransport interface to the chipset, which has plenty of bandwidth. I’ve had good success with motherboards using the 790FX chipset, though that has been superseded by the 890FX now. The Phenom II X6 supports 4 GHz HT, which gives you 16 GB/sec to the chipset (assuming your motherboard/chipset also supports 4 GHz). You do see a slight drop in PCI-E bandwidth switching from AMD to Intel LGA1366 with triple channel. The memory bandwidth provided by the triple channel interface is high enough that most Core i7 systems have nearly the same performance doing host-to-device transfers from pinned and pageable host memory. (Transfers from pageable memory require an intermediate copy to a pinned buffer in the CUDA driver and generally run around half-speed.) AMD isn’t bad though. If I recall correctly, in practice I saw something like 5 GB/sec for cards in my AMD system and 6 GB/sec for the Core i7.

I think the AMD option is fine if the Core i7 LGA1366 is too much.

I browsed the web but I couldn’t find a MoBo with FSB running at 4Ghz. Did you actually mean GHz or MT/s?

thanks again

den3b

I browsed the web but I couldn’t find a MoBo with FSB running at 4Ghz. Did you actually mean GHz or MT/s?

thanks again

den3b

Oops, got confused by the double-data rate thing again. Yes, the Phenom II X6 is spec’ed for 4000 MT/s.

Oops, got confused by the double-data rate thing again. Yes, the Phenom II X6 is spec’ed for 4000 MT/s.

Hehehe, no problem.

However, it seems that the difference in price between an X6 setup and a i7 930 will cost less then $150, and I get 12GB of RAM instead of 8. Thus, I think I will go for the latter one.

What about these two motherboards? Fair price? Which one is the best? Any other to suggest?

Asus P6T-SE 2-way SLI $243

Asus P6X58D-E USB3, Sata 3, 3 Way SLI $ 277

SupaThanx

den3b

Hehehe, no problem.

However, it seems that the difference in price between an X6 setup and a i7 930 will cost less then $150, and I get 12GB of RAM instead of 8. Thus, I think I will go for the latter one.

What about these two motherboards? Fair price? Which one is the best? Any other to suggest?

Asus P6T-SE 2-way SLI $243

Asus P6X58D-E USB3, Sata 3, 3 Way SLI $ 277

SupaThanx

den3b

Hi den3b
Great question. Could you post your conclusion and what you ended up buying? If you could share also costs and vendors, even better.

Thanks

Hi den3b
Great question. Could you post your conclusion and what you ended up buying? If you could share also costs and vendors, even better.

Thanks