Help or documentation on GRID K1 sVGA deployment on ESX 5.5 and XenDesktop 7.6

Hi all,

I’m new to graphics acceleration on VDI environments and I’ve been directed here by NVIDIA customer care as they don’t seem to be able to help. Please bear with me!

We’re testing XD 7.6 on our HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 server with a single K1 card installed and would like to use sVGA to provide additional graphics acceleration to our users who are at most ‘knowledge users’ using Office 2013 primarily hence vSGA instead vDGA. I’ve installed the VIB driver and it appears to be installed OK as per the below output from the console:

~ # esxcli software vib list | grep -i nvidia
NVIDIA-VMware_ESXi_5.5_Host_Driver 340.32-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 NVIDI
~ # nvidia-smi
Thu Jun 11 15:00:32 2015
±-----------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 340.32 Driver Version: 340.32 |
|-------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+
| GPU Name Persistence-M| Bus-Id Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan Temp Perf Pwr:Usage/Cap| Memory-Usage | GPU-Util Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
| 0 GRID K1 Off | 0000:86:00.0 Off | N/A |
| N/A 28C P8 7W / 31W | 23MiB / 4095MiB | 0% Default |
±------------------------------±---------------------±---------------------+
| 1 GRID K1 Off | 0000:87:00.0 Off | N/A |
| N/A 27C P8 7W / 31W | 23MiB / 4095MiB | 0% Default |
| 2 GRID K1 Off | 0000:88:00.0 Off | N/A |
| N/A 20C P8 7W / 31W | 135MiB / 4095MiB | 0% Default |
| 3 GRID K1 Off | 0000:89:00.0 Off | N/A |
| N/A 23C P8 7W / 31W | 172MiB / 4095MiB | 0% Default |

±----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Compute processes: GPU Memory |
| GPU PID Process name Usage |
|=============================================================================|
| No running compute processes found |
±----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

We’ve built a couple of Win8.1Entx64 and Win7Entx64 machines and installed VMTools (sVGA driver inc) and the XenDesktop VDA with HDX 3d support but even with only 4 users, the graphics performance is grainy and theres lag when typing in applications ie. Word, all the results I’d expected had we not installed a K1 card in place!

The VM hardware for each VM is configured with 4x vCPUs, 10GB RAM and the video card set to 2x displays with 128MB RAM and 3d Support enabled. XORG service is running too. As you can see from the console output above, the card doesn’t look like it’s doing that much at all and I can assure you that the server is grossly over powered in terms of CPU and RAM for only 4x VDI machines.

Essentially I’m looking for some guidence or where to go next as I’ve scoured the NVIDIA Support site and I cannot find a shread of documentation on how this is supposed to be ‘officially’ configured, only found a nice doc on XD7.6 on ESXi6.0 for vGPU which is pretty much useless…I’m flying blind pretty much.

Please help!

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

Steve,

We are very interested in this too, looking for graphics options compatible with VMWare/Vsphere. Want to be sure this works, before I order a bunch of these K1 or K2 modules, to run on HP DL380 gen 9’s. Were you given an option, while building your VM’s to add/modify graphics cards. The vSGA seemed like the better choice, for versatility, from what little I know about this vDGA sounded very confining/limiting…
Whatever the case, would love to know if you’re successful in this venture.

Thanks
Ken C.