Help with error: write counter to semaphore: Operation not permitted on Linux

Trying to get an older Connect-X4 Infiniband card (MT27700) working in CentOS 7.9 and after applying the MLNX_OFED package I get the error “write counter to semaphore: Operation not permitted” when trying an “mst status” command or a “mstconfig -d 41:00.0 query” command. Is this an indication of a bad firmware, incompatible card? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello itengroc,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the NVIDIA Developer Forum - Infrastructure and Networking - Section.

Based on the information provided, it looks like you are using an INBOX utility.

We would recommend to install the latest MLNX_OFED GA version which contains the MFT package and use the ‘mlxconfig’ command to access the adapter.

In some cases we see that the utilities provided by the OS vendor is somewhat outdated.

You can download the latest MLNX_OFED GA driver through the following link → Linux InfiniBand Drivers

If you are bounded by using the INBOX driver, you can install the MFT package separately. You can download the latest version through the following link → Mellanox Firmware Tools (MFT)

Thank you and regards,
~NVIDIA Networking Technical Support

MvB - thanks for your input. After much head-scratching I was able to determine that the issues with card were in fact not related to the card at all but to the TPM/Secure Boot options of the server. After disabling them and rebooting, I was able to complete the driver install and firmware flash.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.