High CPU Usage During Video Rendering on Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 with Quadro T2000 Max-Q ubuntu 22.04

Hello NVIDIA community,

I’m experiencing an issue with my Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 3, where all my 16 CPU cores reach up to 100% usage during video rendering tasks, despite having hardware acceleration activated in my browsers and using the NVIDIA GPU. I’m hoping to get some insights or solutions to ensure the GPU is effectively utilized for these tasks to reduce CPU load.

System Specifications:

• Model: Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 3
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz × 16
  • GPU: NVIDIA Corporation TU117GLM [Quadro T2000 Mobile / Max-Q]
  • OS: Linux krakosvia 6.5.0-21-generic #21~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Feb 9 13:32:52 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • NVIDIA Driver Version: 535.161.07
  • CUDA Version: 12.2
  • Selected GPU (via prime-select query): nvidia

nvidia-smi Output:

mathematicaCopy code

Wed Feb 28 14:00:22 2024       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.161.07             Driver Version: 535.161.07   CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro T2000 with Max-Q ...    Off | 00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
| N/A   57C    P0              15W /  35W |   2025MiB /  4096MiB |      0%      Default |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Issue Description: Despite having hardware acceleration enabled and the NVIDIA GPU selected for use, video rendering tasks cause my CPU to spike to 100% across all cores. This seems to suggest that the GPU isn’t being utilized as expected for these tasks, leading to excessive CPU load.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

• Confirmed hardware acceleration is enabled in browser settings.
  • Checked nvidia-smi to ensure the NVIDIA GPU is recognized and drivers are up to date.
  • Utilized prime-select to confirm the NVIDIA GPU is selected.

I’m looking for any advice on settings or configurations I might have missed that could ensure better utilization of the GPU for video rendering tasks, or if there are known issues with this specific hardware or driver version that might be causing this behavior.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!