How does the contact reporter work?

Hi there,

while looking for a way to detect collisions between object, i stumbled across the “contact reporter”.
How does this thing work?

grafik

I didn’t find any information in your documentations or in google searches.

Hello @Jens_G94! Great question! You are correct, I can’t seem to find this option in our documentation. I am reaching out to the dev team for clarification and we will update our documentation in the process. I’ll post back when I have more information!

Hi,
you can register to get contact information in a python callback or even query the contact information every frame as needed.
To see how to use the contact callbacks please see window->simulation->demos there are two contact report snippets showing the contact report usage.

Hope that helps,
Ales

Thank You for your reply!
I’ll take a look at those demos.

Hi Jens,

I just wanted to follow up to see if the demos were of help and if you have any more questions.

Take care,
-Ken

I found them to be helpful, but i didn’t get the difference between the contact report callback and contact report immediate API.

Its the same buffer, but the difference is you get the callback right after simulation finishes, while with the immediate API you can access later anytime. No need to handle data in a callback… but it should be the same buffer in the end.