How much disk space do I need on host to install and flash JetPack 3.1

Trying to follow the JetsonHacks’ procedure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7lkth34rgM ) to install and flash TX2 from a host. The JetPack L4T installer (full installation) runs okay (everything downloaded and compiled on host, connected the Tx2 in Recovery mode, lsubs showed good to go) until started to building root.

The host terminal reports tons of error message basically saying “cannot mkdir …, structure needs cleaning”, for example:

tar: usr/lib/libreoffice/presets: Cannot mkdir: Structure needs cleaning
tar: usr/lib/libreoffice/presets/basic/Standard: Cannot mkdir: No such file or directory
tar: usr/lib/libreoffice/presets/basic/Standard/dialog.xlb: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: usr/lib/libreoffice/presets/basic/Standard/Module1.xba: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: usr/lib/libreoffice/presets/basic/Standard/script.xlb: Cannot open: No such file or directory

I notice that the mounted Ubuntu 14.04 device had “382,402 items” and “totaling 43.0 GB”.

But in fact I only shrank 25GB out of my Windows 10 disk, in which 21GB goes to the partition for Ubuntu and 4GB goes to swap space. I remembered a reading somewhere that 20GB would be plenty for JetPack installation, I could be wrong though. Seems that 21GB is not enough.

What is the minimum disk space needed to install and flash JetPack 3.1?

If you’ve unpacked everything and start to flash it will build two images. One is the full size and exact match of the root partition (“bootloader/system.img.raw”)…at maximum this is “-S 29318MiB”, or “2931810241024” bytes (30742151168 bytes). Then it will generate a sparse version of this (basically compressed). This will add perhaps another 2 or 3BGB requirement. If you’ve unpacked JetPack then I’d say you can feel comfortable with 35GB of free space (check with “df -H”).

Once you are finished you can delete “bootloader/system.img” and “bootloader/system.img.raw”. Keeping “bootloader/system.img” would mean you could reuse the smaller sparse image for a faster flash the next time around.

And how much space required on Jetson? Do we need extra space on TX2 to install Jetpack?

I am getting this error, probably due to 100% usage of root memory:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xkubesiknoyzavt/AADE0_gUTWSgaD9Jzz5HqxQCa?dl=0

How much space is required on Jetson?
Re-flashing presumes you are wiping the entire EMMc, evidently.

Yes, it is re-fleshing 32GB EMMc. Do I need more space?

Well, you may like to add a somewhat =>200gb ssd, or sdcard in my opinion.

The flash itself mostly just copies the “rootfs/” subdirectory (with a few minor edits). If you cd to the “rootfs/” subdirectory, then run “sudo du -h -s .”, you will know very close to the exact size required. Approximately 3GB. Everything else is added during the install of extra packages, e.g., CUDA and samples.

Note that if you have customized your “rootfs/” by adding content, then this will require more space on the Jetson. The maximum rootfs size you can get is from this (the “-S” parameter) if running command line:

sudo ./flash.sh -S 29318MiB jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1

If you are running out of space I recommend you only flash…then add your extra storage by mounting an SD card or SATA disk to “/usr/local/”. Following that you could then do the extra package installs via JetPack (uncheck flash) and most of what it adds would go to the extra storage you mounted on “/usr/local/” (not everything, but the bulk would go there). So basically what @Andrey1984 said…I’m just adding a target location to mount your storage.

One more thing you may want is to to store swap partition outside of your eMMC [apart of /home and /usr/local mountpoints]