How to avoid pitfalls when installing CUDA Toolkit / Drivers to MSI laptop with 2080 ti

I know from past experience that there are many ways to botch an installation of CUDA drivers and Toolkits, so my hope is that there are simple guidelines for what not to do. I already found out that it’s not good to assume that stock Linux CUDA drivers have anything to do with drivers written by NVidia (that was a surprise)

Current laptop/workstation has 2080Ti, with fresh install of linux Mint (Ubuntu) which does access the screen, apparently by generic drivers. I need to swap in official NVidia CUDA drivers and utils and libraries without
creating conflicts.

Are there any recommended procedures to stay out of trouble and avoid conflicting packages?

A correction: The laptop GPU is a 2080 MaxQ (registers as ‘NVidia 1e90’). Not sure if this matters at all.

Also, the OS is Ubuntu 18.04 version (kernel 4.15).

I just want to make sure I don’t hit the same snags that occurred when installing the CUDA Toolkit to a Linux workstation recently. It’s easy to get non-nVidia drivers and software mixed in, especially as Linux itself sometimes offers ‘suggestions’ for sudo apt-get strings that will end up with conflicts.

I did finally get those sorted out, but my notes on installation procedure got rather scrambled as a result of the conflicts. I’d prefer to keep this as streamlined as possible this time, so any suggestions would help.