How to boost ubuntu performance for JTX1

Are there any general tips for getting boost in ubuntu performance ?

I am looking for tips which helps to free some CPU loads so that i can get effective latency of my application(end to end timings) ?

Probably reducing some startup apps and the ways to get best out of JTX1…

This URL is originally for the Jetson TK1, but mostly it should apply to a JTX1 as well:
http://elinux.org/Jetson/Performance

Otherwise, you may want to post more regarding your specific use-case (in which case more information such as setting higher priority to a process could be considered).

Yes above link tips i have already applied mainly to set frequency for CPU and GPU and making all CPUs online…

I Meant to ask OS or kernel specific tips…probably kernel customization and removing unnecessary drivers or any thing else…

The question is a bit too general to just answer. Broadly speaking, I’m not sure if kernel options during build would help, but at least in R24.1 I noticed some debug options set. You might want to load the “/proc/config.gz” for a kernel compile and go through “make menuconfig” to see what can be changed regarding debug support…removing debug support and using optimization may be a possibility for kernel speed boost, but I do not know exactly what is there now.

Typically supporting a given driver in module format would be slightly lower performance than integrating in the kernel. Options in module format which you know will be used could be converted to integrated format.

Typically having a driver supported as a module but not loaded will have no effect on performance, just file system use.

You might want to install htop and browse what processes are running…most will not have a significant impact on CPU use or RAM, and the ones which do mostly will be required. If you spot something you know isn’t needed, you could remove the package, e.g., if you don’t use wireless, then remove everything wireless in both the kernel and user space packages.

Determining the source of any bottleneck is really required if you truly want to tune for performance…all of the above may tweak things a bit, but not address specific issues. For example, if the issues are something like hardware device drivers competing for each other, then hardware IRQ servicing rate may have a significant impact by increasing it or decreasing it (only CPU0 can service hardware IRQ…sometimes responsiveness through faster IRQ polling helps, sometimes slower IRQ helps due to reducing overhead).

Running in a desktop GUI is often a big increase in latency if you can run and view something from a text-mode shell.

Yeah Thanks for the reply…
Will look for htop command output and modify accordingly…

It’s mainly for General Ubuntu Versions but does these apply to Linux4Tegra too ?

L4T is Ubuntu, but with hardware accelerated access. Most information on Ubuntu is correct. With only a few exceptions, anything built for Ubuntu and compiled for this architecture works great.

The most obvious exceptions are the video driver and boot loader…the nouveau video driver can’t be used, and the supplied boot loader must be used. FYI, there are some files supporting nouveau which can be used (these are not the actual video driver), but the nouveau video driver itself is an issue. Anything related to grub boot loader cannot be used.

Preload works, but when RAM is limited you may not want to do this. Desktop setup is probably a good way to tune what you want. I have not done it, but lighter desktop environments or single-application environments, or even non-graphical environments work the same with L4T as desktop Ubuntu (you could even remove some of the desktop components if you only remote display to another machine). By default L4T does not use swap, so there is nothing to gain from adjusting this.