How to Boot From SD Card?

I tried to boot Xavier by emmc.
Then USB keyboard worked.
So I think there is not hardware issure.

I thought that it would be okay to use a well-work image,
I tried to back up image on emmc and flash the image to SD card with reference to following URL.
https://elinux.org/Jetson/TX2_Cloning
https://elinux.org/Boot_from_sd

1. $ sudo ./flash.sh jetson-xavier mmcblk0p0
  2. $ sudo ./flash.sh -r -k APP -G backup.img jetson-xavier mmcblk0p1
  3. $ sudo cp backup.img.raw bootloader/system.img
  4. $ cd /Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs
  5. $ sudo cp -a * && sync
  6. Unplug SD card and plug-in SD card in Xavier
  7. $ sudo ./flash.sh -r -k APP jetson-xavier mmcblk1p1

I can boot Xavier by SDcard.

Thank you.

Hi hijikata_M,

Are steps in #13 working or not? I cannot tell your purpose. Please tell more about it.

Hi WayneWWW,

I checked Xavier and know that it booted by emmc.
So #13 is not working.

I will try to set up from the beginning.

I set up by the following procedure.

$ sudo tar xpf Jetson_Linux_R31.1.0_aarch64.tbz2
$ cd Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/
$ sudo tar xpf …/…/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R31.1.0_aarch64.tbz2
$ cd …
$ sudo ./apply_binaries.sh
$ cd ./rootfs
$ sudo cp -a * && sync
Unplug SD card and plug-in SD card in Xavier
$ sudo ./flash.sh jetson-xavier mmcblk1p1

Is there any mistake?

Hi hijikata_M,

I can boot up from SD card, list steps for you reference:

$ sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sd<port><device_number>   #Format your device with an Ext4 file system
$ cd Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/
$ sudo cp -a * <mntpoint> && sync
$ Unmount the disk and connect it to the target Tegra device

Please check your sdcard format or try to format and copy again.
Thanks!

Just a thought: The content of “rootfs/boot/” won’t be complete until at least one flash has occurred. However, I doubt this matters until U-Boot is added back in (cboot doesn’t look at rootfs “/boot” content).

Hi corolyuu,

I tried to format and copy again. Then I can boot Xavier from SD card.
I think that I could not boot because I did not do all the steps correctly.

Thank you!

Hi carolyuu,
I am able to boot from SDCARD but when I remove sd card from Jetson Xavier board then restart the board but not able to fall back to eMMC rootfs still searching for mmcblk1p1, not mmcblk0p1.
Where I need to change for eMMC boot again or the only option to reflash the image to mmcblk0p1.

Please help me with this.

Thanks

I am not sure. Since cmdline only has one root device per time, I don’t think you could directly “fallback” to emmc boot.

Hi WayneWWW,
I have some doubt regarding booting from sdcard.

1. Is it possible to boot from sdcard without flash the device with mmcblk1p1 option?

I have tested this in TX2 and able to work without any issue only I need to change root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 in L4T_Rootfs/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file.

Is there any way in Xavier to change boot device to sdcard from eMMC without flashing the device with below command:-

Thanks

There are macros within U-Boot which find the extlinux.conf via a search order with fallback. The trouble is that in some cases parts of the content within the APPEND key/value pair of extlinux.conf may be ignored or in conflict with the same thing within the “chosen” entry of the device tree. If you have a serial console you can experiment with the macros. I would suggest not even touching bootloader if you don’t have a serial console due to the frustration it’ll involve.

Can you post the content of your SD card extlinux.conf? Probably rename it with a “.txt” suffix (if you hover your mouse over the edit icon in the upper right of one of your existing posts a paper clip icon will show up…this is how you attach files in the forum).

Even if you want to boot to SD card it may be better to name eMMC (mmcblk0p1) as the target and then edit boot parameters. This would require there to be an ext4 file system on mmcblk0p1 with the extlinux.conf, but the size could be drastically reduced if you end up pointing at mmcblk1p1 via some combination of extlinux.conf and device tree “chosen” entry. I haven’t actually tried as I don’t have a large enough micro SD card, so consider it an experiment.

Hello,

I’m trying to boot the Xavier from SD card again.
I used L4T Version 32.4.2 or 32.5 but I can not boot well.
When I boot Xavier, I got below message.

Installation failed
The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.

If I boot from emmc, I can boot it.
Does it remain that the Xavier is supported SD boot?

I tried to format the SD card to refer to the below method.
https://elinux.org/Jetson/L4T/Boot_From_External_Device

But I cannot boot the Xavier, and I can get any message from the display connected to the Xavier.
I think that the SD boot method is changed.
So I create a new topic.

Thanks

Hi, all:

I’m not sure if there should be anything shown under /dev/ after having inserted the TF card into AGX Xavier? I thought there should be /dev/mmcblk1p1 shown up? But NOTHING happened in my case.

➜  /dev ll mmcblk1*
zsh: no matches found: mmcblk1*

What’s more, if I insert this TF card to a reader, and AGX Xavier is able to recognize the USB device.

I’m actually trying to flash the TF card, for the purpose of rebooting from TF card instead of eMMC (which comes with a limited size 32G).

Did anybody have the same issue??: Insert TF card into AGX Xavier but nothing has shown up as a new device.

Please help…

Cheers
Pei

Hi, jiapei1:

By https://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/embedded/secure/jetson/xavier/docs/Jetson_AGX_Xavier_Developer_Kit_Carrier_Board_Specification_SP-09778-001_v2.1.pdf?1AHggAXWIgX_DMFM8vGfBLHh6lJ8eXpMsg3D4R60_QhI96H4Zbr53Q-G6tsIWhmb9IwlrSbVj-DsyhCxxOvDRnHry_rbumB9H8JDXpIaLyOJJKTIun_LxeHh91zpAozZKHesjSVZ0Jg4CIxUCOysIN9YKSzW8E9LaQedjmgkt6SUK0gg3_l78XF7VwVpxTv6FwXo4M6t7YHIK1HtrYtiS0FU9RlHj-gqn0bqlinZnCcNhum_v3-cVcrj, the following is said.

The SD card interface supportsup to SDR104 mode (UHS-1). The UFS interface supports up to HS-GEAR 3.

What specification TF card are you using?

1 Like

@hijikata_M Thank you…
Take a look at this: AGX Xavier won't detect TF card? - #11 by jiapei1 .

I’m using an SD card over 32G.

Is it possible for Jetson to support SDXC ?

I even did sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils, still NOT work.

Cheers

I can boot Jetson by SDXC 64GB.
I use ELECOM MF-CAMR064GU11A.
This speed class is class 10.
Is your TF card’s speed class?

1 Like

Hi, @hijikata_M
I’m using ADATA 64G XC 1.
It wouldn’t even be able to be detected as mmcblk1 on Xavier AGX.

Any further suggestions?

Cheers