How to change GPU fan settings on Ubuntu Server 18.04?

I have a GTX1080ti in a Ubuntu Server Edition 18.04 under my desk and when I train my neural network the fan alternates between 100% and 0% every 20 seconds or so. My coworkers have informed me in no uncertain terms that it would be preferable if the fan could continuously at a lower speed so I am trying to adjust the GPU fan settings. (They have also requested to management that my machine be moved to a closet somewhere to no avail, apparently that would constitute me getting special treatment.)

I tried installing nvclock and got the following error.

[sudo] password for brian: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package nvclock```

I tried using nvidia-settings a la https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1032741/linux/tuning-nvidia-settings-over-ssh-error/ and get the following error. 
```sudo nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" -a "[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=50"
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused```

From what I have read I need to somehow set the display and xauthority but the suggestion of running `ps a |grep X` doesn't find anything for me. 

Any suggestions?

Sorry, I can’t help you with fan settings under Ubuntu. But I am not sure your plan will work as you envision once you have figured out how to control the fan.

The fact that the dynamic fan control turns up the fan to 100% means the fan needs to run this fast to provide proper cooling while the GPU is used for training. After all, those 250W of thermal power have to be dissipated somehow. Running the fan at lower speed will cause the GPU to overheat during peak use, leading to thermal throttling. Which is counter productive in terms of the work you want to get done.

One workable approach is to permanently run the fan at (close to) 100% and various people in these forums have stated that this is exactly what they are doing. It’s not clear whether your co-workers are complaining about the fact that the fan noise is constantly ramping up and down, or whether peak noise at 100% fan speed is the bigger issue.

A quieter alternative would be the use of a water-cooled GTX 1080 Ti. After-market “waterblocks” also exist for this purpose, but I have no hands-on experience with them so can’t make any recommendations.

Thanks for your input, unfortunate it does not resolve my issue. Currently my fan runs at full speed about 10%-20% of the time so I’m confident that I could cool the GPU with the fan running continuously at a lower speed.

If the bursts of activity are really short, it might work. Due to the mass of the heatsink-fan assembly, there is some amount of hysteresis. But at usual ambient temperatures, an actively cooled GPU under full load reaches 80+ deg C within about 1.5 minutes, at which point the fans typically go at (close to) full speed.

BTW, you posted this in “GPU accelerated libraries”, which is a low-traffic sub-forum. You are likely to reach more eyeballs in “CUDA Programming and Performance” or one of the GeForce Forums.