How to get camera screen with python

I’m using OpenCV 3.2.0 and when I print out “cv2.version” in python, it prints 3.2.0 correctly.

When I use

cap = cv2.VideoCapture("nvcamerasrc ! video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=(int)640, height=(int)480, format=(string)I420, framerate=(fraction)30/1 ! nvvidconv flip-method=2 ! video/x-raw, format=(string)I420 ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw, format=(string)BGR ! appsink")

This code to open the camera, it fails with this error message.

GStreamer: Error opening bin: no element "nvcamerasrc"

When I use this command in command line, it works perfectly.

gst-launch-1.0 nvcamerasrc fpsRange="30.0 30.0" ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), width=(int)1920, height=(int)1080, format=(string)I420, framerate=(fraction)30/1' ! \
nvvidconv flip-method=2 ! 'video/x-raw(memory:NVMM), format=(string)I420' ! nvoverlaysink -e

Can you help me fix this? Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Do you enable gstreamer component when building opencv?

cmake -D WITH_CUDA=ON -D CUDA_ARCH_BIN="5.3" -D CUDA_ARCH_PTX="" -D WITH_GSTREAMER=ON -D BUILD_TESTS=OFF -D BUILD_PERF_TESTS=OFF -D BUILD_EXAMPLES=OFF -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELEASE -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local ..

Please help us check the cmake summary report first.
Make sure all the gstreamer components are enabled.

--   Video I/O:
--     GStreamer:                   
--       base:                      YES (ver 1.8.3)
--       video:                     YES (ver 1.8.3)
--       app:                       YES (ver 1.8.3)
--       riff:                      YES (ver 1.8.3)
--       pbutils:                   YES (ver 1.8.3)

I didn’t compile with gstreamer option. I actually followed https://www.e-consystems.com/Articles/Camera/opencv-jetson-using-13MP-MIPI-camera.asp even though I installed newer version, and that may made this error. I’ll try to build again with that cmake command. Thank you!

--     GStreamer:                   
--       base:                      YES (ver 0.10.36)
--       video:                     YES (ver 0.10.36)
--       app:                       YES (ver 0.10.36)
--       riff:                      YES (ver 0.10.36)
--       pbutils:                   YES (ver 0.10.36)

GStreamer was on, but the same error occurred again. I think it’s because of the old version of gstreamer (libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev)

So I uninstalled them and reinstalled gstremer 1.0

sudo apt purge libgstreamer*
sudo apt install libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev

Now, I get the correct version of gstreamer at cmake output. I’m building OpenCV again and hope it works now.

It worked! Thank you so much!