How to limit the setting of nvpmodel.conf?

Dear Sir/ Madam, I have 2 questions about the performance of Xavier AGX module.

1. How could I limit the customers to tweak the profile parameters of nvpmodel.conf of Xavier AGX module to avoid it over the 30 watt specification and the system crashing? Any patch or command could be applied for?
  2. If the Xavier AGX module crashes, does NV or the agents could download any log file from the module to clarify the setting before failing?

hello terry6wu,

please refer to documentation, Supported Modes and Power Efficiency.
you may have customization to define a custom power mode; please modify mode definition to the configuration files,
i.e. /etc/nvpmodel.conf
thanks

Dear Jerry,

Yes, we understand that we could define a customized power mode. But the problem is that our customers still could change the parameters of /etc/nvpmodel.conf, right? That is not safe when MP. Please do you have any method to make /etc/nvpmodel.conf not be allowed to modify?

Thank you.

hello terry6wu,

since it’s MP products, how about having permissions modification to make it as read-only.
[url]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions[/url]
thanks

Dear Jerry,

Our MP products will only contain OS BSP but not applications. Therefore, the customers will have root authority to build APP, that is, they still can modify /etc/nvpmodel.conf. The read-only setting seems not to meet our requirement perfectly.

hello terry6wu,

since customers will have root authority, don’t that be their own risk to modify nvpmodel configurations.

Dear Jerry,

Yes, we will announce the safety concern and risk to our customer. But we still need some limitations to avoid that happens. How about setting DVFS to derate the frequency when it over temperature specifications? Or please do you have further suggestions?

hello terry6wu,

you may refer to Thermal Management session for configurations, you may set the lower temperature limitation to trigger a software shutdown,
thanks

Dear Jerry:

We will do further study. Another question, if the Xavier AGX module crashes, does NV or the agents could download any log file from the module to clarify the setting before failing?

hello terry6wu,

actually, you may check /var/log/syslog for system messages. it won’t erase by system rebooting.
thanks

Dear Jerry,

Could the syslog file be erased manually?
I concern that if our customer erases the file, how will I track it?

hello terry6wu,

since your customer grant root authority, they’re able to delete syslog file manually.
you may ask your customer to keep it and share syslog for tracking issues, thanks