How to run cmake

Since currently building CUDA is not available for VS 2008, I think the next best option is building them with cmake.

I did follow the instruction from another topic on this forum to get the FindCuda.cmake. However I’ve been reading Cmake’s documentation and cannot find a way to run this script for test. Most of the documentation is focussed on generating the .cmake file, and since I already have one I don’t know how to run it.

I have compiled sources using gcc before and usually a simple ‘make -f somemakefile.txt’ would do it. Doesn’t appear to be so for this case. Any tips?

Thanks

http://www.cmake.org/HTML/RunningCMake.html gives a good overview. You need to run the CMake application on the CMakeLists.txt file to generate the project in windows or a Makefile which you can “make” in linux/mac.

If you have any specific questions after reading that, I can answer them. Although, I’m not sure that CMake will solve any visual studio 2008 problems. I’m pretty sure that the incompatibility is at the nvcc/cl level. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Thank you…you’re right, the incompatibility is due to the nvcc/cl level. I found this out through another topic discussion on this forum.

After some consideration I think the best thing is to just run it in 2005 for now. I don’t think it is too far fetched to see nvidia releasing the next SDK with 2008 support. Thanks again.