How to setup a JETSON-NANO-DEV-KIT-A (alternative to B01)

Hello,
I have the same like yours could I send u a private message to help me?

Hello georgekasa,

sure , I’ll be glad to help you if I can .

Cheers,

Alan

And I apologize for the late reply but, I want to be able to boot from USB HD and this is not easily done … so I was away from the board for a couple of days. but if you still need help by all means contact me.

Hello,
thanks for your reply, I successfully booted. Now I want to install vnc viewer and because I have the emmc and 16 GB is very limited. I wanrt to do the same as yours to boot from USB HD or from an external ssd.
Did you find any videos or posts how to doo it?

hi GeorgeKasa,

Yes, I was successful in running my Nano for an SSD and also INstalled the SDK from the SDK manager.

I will be happy to help you but not until the day after tomorrow, I have to be gone On-Site for work all day tomorrow, I work in Thailand so it is already late today.

Make sure that you have this ready .it is necessary to set the SSD.

1. a system running Ubuntu version 18.04 ( no other version it won’t work)

2. an SSD harddrive formatted in the GPT format ( for example on my drive of 500 GB I set a GPT format in which I made a portion (ext4) of 460 GB I always left space for SSD.

3. complete download of the jetpak 4.6.1 + SDK in the SDK manager, we will have to reinstall through the manager on the new SSD , (see pic sdk_manager_ssd 1 and 2 )

so we are ready Wednesday and I will prepare a step-by-step for you .
Cher’s

Alan
Sys.Eng

Hello,
I have ordered an ssd. I presume we have the same model as I saw in pictures of yours (waveshare development kit nvidia jetson WITHOUT an ssd).
Yes I have an ubuntu 18.04 I have partition my main disk. (the format will not be a problem) from the sdk manager i have did it already, because now I am using the jetson nano with the eMMC, but I want to boot it with an external SSD for more space.

your ssd will be connected externally?

Hello George,

I am just back today, the trip took a little longer than first thought. and it is evening here in Thailand, so I will expand more tomorrow and we can begin as well.
to reply to some of your questions.

1. we cannot completely ignore the emmc since it is an integral part of the Module, so what we do is use it to boot to the external HD. even with the SSD add-on for sale ( the one that you and I both got) it is still considered booting from an external disk since we are connected through USB. so do not worry when done all will be run from the SSD and it should be using only 40 % of the emmc ( space taken at the beginning to format the system).
  2. yes we got the same I also got Waveshare. I wanted a Nano with an eMMc versus the B01 with a Micro SD, many users seem to have problems with Mico SD, moreover, this kit also gives you the possibility to update to an NX module later.

so finally do we have to wait until you got the SSD before starting .? if so fine… just let me know when you are ready.

As final remarks, I run into what could be a problem, I was setting the GPIO and I got that message >
////
Python3
Python 3.6.9 (default, Mar 15 2022, 13:55:28)
[GCC 8.4.0] on linux
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

import Jetson.GPIO as GPIO
WARNING: Carrier board is not from a Jetson Developer Kit.
WARNNIG: Jetson.GPIO library has not been verified with this carrier board,
WARNING: and in fact is unlikely to work correctly.
GPIO.JETSON_INFO
{‘P1_REVISION’: 1, ‘RAM’: ‘4096M’, ‘REVISION’: ‘Unknown’, ‘TYPE’: ‘Jetson Nano’, ‘MANUFACTURER’: ‘NVIDIA’, ‘PROCESSOR’: ‘ARM A57’}
GPIO.VERSION
‘2.0.17’
exit()
//////

and when looking around it seems that all “Customer boards” so not purely Nvidia like a B01 for example have a possible different pins order ( not that I can see) Anyway I have sent an email to WaveShare and still waiting for their reply. I test my GPIO with my multimeter and for what I can test (mainly the power pins, 5 and 3.3 V) they all are on and with the correct voltage.

That’s all for today, if you have any questions let me know and anyway we can talk tomorrow.

Cheer’s

Alan

** A pic to show my setup. Still waiting for Add-On board to put my SSD . it wont change much since the board also connect through USB

Hello,
yes with waveshare It will delay about their answer.

Have u set a vnc viewer?

Yes, I did, but for the time being, I am not using it all that much because I have a Multi-Screen setup, so I split my 4K monitor one half is for my Laptop extended screen and the other half for the Nano, work’s very well.

I set up VNC, SSH, FTP, and remote use for Visual Studio Code and Jupyter. I have 2 locations for Cuda, the Nano, and an NVIdia Pro card on my workstation.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.