HPC-X MPI not supporting threaded MPI programs?

Hi,

I could not find this answered in the discussion group.

As far as I can tell the Mellanox HPC-X MPI is built without the option: --enable-mpi-thread-multiple

to the OpenMPI configure script. Is this intentional, and if so: why?

To test and verify try the osu benchmark sample that comes with HPC-X:

$ mpirun -host localhost -x MLX5_SINGLE_THREADED=n -np 2 $HPCX_MPI_TESTS_DIR/osu-micro-benchmarks-4.4.1/osu_latency_mt [1430755920.480363] [login0401:2589 :0] sys.c:741 MXM WARN Conflicting CPU frequencies detected, using: 2601.00 [1430755920.479771] [login0401:2590 :0] sys.c:741 MXM WARN Conflicting CPU frequencies detected, using: 2601.00 MPI_Init_thread must return MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE! ------------------------------------------------------- Primary job terminated normally, but 1 process returned a non-zero exit code.. Per user-direction, the job has been aborted. ...

This test never runs due to the MPI run-time not providing the sufficient level of threads support.

/Nils

Thanks,

I hadn’t done my homework. I thought the tar ball in HPC-X was the regular OpenMPI only, but now that I looked I realize that the yalla driver is included.

Thanks for pointing it out.

/Nils

You are correct. The current HPC-X does not build with thread support.

However, HPC-X does come with the source and instructions to build, so it can be compiled with the thread support separately if the application does require to use thread support from the HPC-X MPI library.