I can no longer can set up a system with cloned (mirrored) monitors using 2 Quadro K420 cards

I hope this is the right forum to seek assistance/help from, I am not sure if this is an NVidia issue or an OpenSuSE issue. I have been running a server under OpenSuSE 15.0 x64 and decided it was time to upgrade the server to the current supported version of OpenSuSE 15.4. Towards that goal I have been attempting to do incremental upgrades i.e. upgrade OpenSuSE 15.0 to OpenSuSE 15.1, then upgrade 15.1 to 15.2 etc. I got as far as 15.2 and at that point the video initialization failed.

My system has 2 Quadro K420 cards and I am using the DVI output of each card to connect 1 of 2 different monitors, one is a large Westinghouse monitor and the other is a Samsung monitor located in a different room. I want these two monitors to show the same desktop, i.e. one is a clone of the other. Both can run at the same resolution of 1920x1080.

In OpenSuSE 15.0 and 15.1 I was able to accomplish the cloned setup using BaseMosaic in configuring the monitors and GPUs in the xorg.conf file and by using the nvidia-settings tool. (FWIW, it seems very counter intuitive to have to use a GUI based tool in order to set up a GUI based system! that’s a Catch22) In 15.2 the Xorg log files seem to be reporting that SLI is not set up properly but I am getting mixed messages about whether SLI is even supported or not on these cards. NVidia’s documentation certainly does not say anything about SLI on these cards. a couple of websites I found said explicitly it is not supported, nvidia-settings offer no options for enabling SLI and yet if I am reading it rights lspci -t implies it is (according to NVidia’s documentation in Chapter 28 of their README) so I am confused.

Please don’t assume I am speaking from any sort of knowledge or understanding of NVidia architecture, I probably grok less than 20% of what I am trying to read. I have done a LOT of experimentation, trying different combinations of settings but so far no joy getting both monitors working. I have gotten one monitor to work with the second one showing what is perhaps an extended desktop, but certainly not a cloned view. Most of my experiments have resulted in the second monitor not getting any signal whatsoever. I have switched cables to make sure there was no hardware issues, and am running out of ideas. So I would very much appreciate the help of a wise guru to lead me out of these woods.

I will attempt to see if I can include the output file - nvidia-bug-report.log.gz which I see contains most of the needed information from my system and the output from lspci -t also. So far I haven’t seen a way to include attachments in this web interface, but perhaps it is available after I click on the “Create Topic” button below.

Thanks in advance, Marc

P.S. Whew! Figuring out how to upload files was NOT easy! Took me awhile to figure out that I had to re-enter edit mode and then find the little minature button for uploading files. That should be made easier and more obvious! IMHO of course.

lspciOutput.txt (1.7 KB)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (2.2 MB)

Please run

grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*

to find a file containing

options nvidia-drm modeset=1

and change 1 to 0 and recreate your initrd (dracut -f)

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

should return ‘N’ after reboot if done right.

Well I will be darned! Thanks Generix, that bit of magic did the trick!
I am kinda amazed that I had set up xorg.conf correctly, I was almost
certain that I was doing something wrong in the configuration setup, so
I was apparently searching in the wrong places for a solution. Maybe
some better documentation or automation in the nvidia-settings tool is
needed? In all my Googling and RTFMs I did not come across anything that
suggested this particular solution. Am glad I asked!

Marc...

It’s in the docs but in the wrong chapter so nobody finds it that doesn’t already know about it…
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/understanding-nvidia-drm-modeset-1-nvidia-linux-driver-modesetting/204068/4?u=generix