I want to backup my Jeston Nano B01 system to a USB device, what should I do

I want to backup my Jeston Nano B01 system to a USB device, what should I do

hello 1815657193,

may I know what’s the actual use-case, is this a plugged-in USB device on your Nano DevKit?
furthermore, what contents would you like to back up?

thank you,I inserted a TF card into the Jeson Nano as the boot system, and now I want to use an external U disk to back up the entire system, what should I do?

hello 1815657193,

Flashing to an External Storage Device doesn’t support with Jetson Nano series.

Added information: The eMMC models have multiple partitions in the eMMC. All but one partition is used for boot, and the actual operating system has a single partition.

In the case of SD card model Nanos there is QSPI memory on the module itself, and all of that boot content from non-o/s partitions of eMMC would instead go to the QSPI memory (release version can change what goes in QSPI for old versus newer releases).

You can always back up the o/s partition, but unless the other boot content is valid for your o/s partition the boot will fail. Fortunately, the other content will be correct if you flash with the same release of SDKM which the o/s partition was intended to work with. You don’t really need to back up the non-o/s software since flash software can install this (and manually installing to QSPI without recovery mode is not trivial). It does mean though that backing up is a two-part event and you cannot back up everything in a single backup.

Note that an operating system which is running live (and thus has files changing) is not necessarily recommended. The SD card can easily be copied on a host PC, or eMMC models can have the content copied while in recovery mode. If you are to use the Nano itself, while it runs, to back up the operating system partition, then you will probably use a standard tool which is not specific to a Jetson. The most common tool for backing up a running system would be to have rsync copy the content. It won’t matter if the content is to a local disk (other than the operating system), or if you are backing up to a second host PC (rsync does either rather well).

For an SD card model I’d highly recommend just using dd from a host PC. Then expect to also flash the SD card model Nano with the same release of software which the operating system was intended to work with.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.