I2S in/out and Gstreamer

Hello,

If I want to implement encoding and decoding video with audio via a single I2S channel on the Jetson TX2.

The I2S utilizes three synchronized clocks (master, bit and frame clocks). Do these clocks have to be synchronized in some way to the video input stream and the video output stream, so the Gstreamer can accomplish this requirement?

The intention is to provide a video-audio synchronized stream one for the input and another for the output simultaneously. The input and the output video streams are not required to be synchronized.

Regards,
Igal

Hi igal,
A valid usecase is to use alsasink

$ gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=a.mp4 ! qtdemux ! avdec_aac ! audioconvert ! alsasink device="hw:2,0"

You need to modify device tree accordingly and configure correct device to alsasink.

DaneLLL, hi,

thanks for the reply.

My question was more of an infrastructural one regarding the synchronization of the clocks feeding the audio CODEC and the MIPI lanes:

Can the Jetson encode and decode video with audio simultaneously via a single I2S lane? If yes are there any requirements for the clocks or the Jetson is the one internally provides synchronized clocks to the audio CODEC and to the MIPI lanes (DSI and CSI-2)?

Regards,
Igal

Hi igal,
Can you share more about your usecase? Any existing application close to your case? Looks like it is not about synchronization of aac decoding and h264 decoding.

Hi DaneLLL,

I would like to connect audio CODEC via a single I2S channel which will provide audio in which will be encoded with a camera in (via MIPI CSI-2 interface), the encoded file will be stored in a file, then with a delay of a few seconds I’d like to playback the video via the the same audio CODEC via the same I2S channel and the video will be output via MIPI DSI channel. This operation should continue simultaneously, that is the decoding will be delayed with respect to the encoding and stored on a file. Do you see any special HW requirements with respect to the I2S channel, clocks etc?

Regards,
Igal