If statement in the CUDA __global__ function has an strange impact on the results

I’ve been suffering from a strange behavior of CUDA that over-writes all the values in the structure to be zero (at least with printf("%e") ), and have nailed down the causes - an IF statement that should have no impact to the results - but cannot get why this is happening.

The brief structure of my __global__ function looks as the below. struct Particle has an int component ‘lost’, which is all set to zero. Therefore, I expected no impact from the the presence of the commented IF statement.

__global__ void Kernel_test(int n_particle, Particle *particle_list ) {
  int      index_i, index_j;
  Particle particle_i, particle_j;

__shared__ double sdata[128][27]; 

/* 'sdata' initialization */

__syncthreads();

// COMMEMTING ON and OFF this IF statement have an impact on the results
// (should have no impact, since all 'lost' of the particles are 'zero')
// if (particle_j.lost == 0) { // only if the neighboring particle is not lost

// put some arbitrary values
   for (int i_mat = 0; i_mat<3; i_mat++) {
     for (int j_mat = 0; j_mat<3; j_mat++) {
       sdata[threadIdx.x][ptr_matrix0 + 3*i_mat + j_mat] = 10.;
     }
   }

// }
  __syncthreads();

}

But it turned out it is not - if I turn on the IF statement, then the values of calculated ‘stress’ becomes zero, which should have been ‘50’.

I initialized 'lost’s of the all particles to be zero, thereby in principle there should have been no impact by the presence of the IF statement.

This behavior of this reduced teset is a bit different from my real problem (where all other components of the particles seem to be over-written as zeros), but it is already strange and interesting as it is.

My full reduced code is like below.

#include <stdio.h>

typedef struct Particle {
  double rho;
  double vel[3];
  double stress[3][3];
  int    n_neighbor;
  int    *neighbor_list;
  int    lost;
} Particle;

__global__ void Kernel_test(int n_particle, Particle *particle_list ) {
  int      index_i, index_j;
  Particle particle_i, particle_j;

__shared__ double sdata[128][27]; // n_thread fixed to '128', and each thread will calculate three 3x3 matrix
                                    // '128' is to take into account large number of neighbors, while in this test only 5.

int ptr_matrix0 = 0;
  int ptr_matrix1 = 9;  // dummy, will not be actually used in this example
  int ptr_matrix2 = 18; // dummy, will not be actually used in this example

sdata[threadIdx.x][ptr_matrix0 + 3*i_mat + j_mat] = 0.;
      sdata[threadIdx.x][ptr_matrix1 + 3*i_mat + j_mat] = 0.;
      sdata[threadIdx.x][ptr_matrix2 + 3*i_mat + j_mat] = 0.;
    }
  }

__syncthreads();

// each block is assigned to one particle
  index_i = blockIdx.x;

if (index_i < n_particle) { // safe-guard
    particle_i = particle_list[index_i];

if (threadIdx.x < particle_i.n_neighbor) { // n_neighbor = 5 in this test
      index_j    = particle_i.neighbor_list[threadIdx.x];
      particle_j = particle_list[index_j];

// COMMEMTING ON and OFF this IF statement have an impact on the results
//      if (particle_j.lost == 0) { // only if the neighboring particle is not lost

// put some arbitrary values
            sdata[threadIdx.x][ptr_matrix0 + 3*i_mat + j_mat] = 10.;
          }
        }

//      } // particle_j.lost
    }
  }
  __syncthreads();

// then the 0th thread collects and push it back to the 'particle_list'
  if (threadIdx.x == 0) {
    if (index_i < n_particle) { // safe-guard

// clean-up the previously filled value
          particle_list[index_i].stress[i_mat][j_mat] = 0.;
        }
      }

// reduce 'sdata' in row
      for (int i_row = 0; i_row<128; i_row++ ) {
            particle_list[index_i].stress[i_mat][j_mat] += sdata[i_row][3*i_mat+j_mat];
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

int main() {
  Particle *particles, *dev_particles;
  int      n_particle = 1000;

particles = (Particle *)malloc( n_particle * sizeof(Particle) );

for (int i = 0; i<n_particle; i++) {
    particles[i].rho    = (double)i*10.;
    particles[i].vel[0] = 0.;
    particles[i].vel[1] = (double)i * 0.1;
    particles[i].vel[2] = 0.;

particles[i].stress[i_mat][j_mat] = 0.;
      }
    }

particles[i].n_neighbor    = 5;
    particles[i].neighbor_list = (int *)malloc(5*sizeof(int));

particles[i].neighbor_list[0] = 100;
    particles[i].neighbor_list[1] = 101;
    particles[i].neighbor_list[2] = 102;
    particles[i].neighbor_list[3] = 103;
    particles[i].neighbor_list[4] = 104;

particles[i].lost = 0;
  }

// print an arbitrary part of the particles
  printf("before Kernel_test \n");
  for (int i = 500; i<510; i++) {
    printf("%d th: rho %e, vel[0] %e, vel[1] %e, stress[0][0] %e, stress[1][0] %e \n",
             i, particles[i].rho, particles[i].vel[0], particles[i].vel[1], particles[i].stress[0][0], particles[i].stress[1][0] );
  }

cudaMalloc( (void **)&dev_particles,  n_particle * sizeof(Particle) );
  cudaMemcpy( dev_particles, particles, n_particle * sizeof(Particle), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice );

// each block assigns with one particle, each thread calculates the contribution of each neighbors
  int n_thread = 128;
  int n_block  = n_particle;

//Kernel_printNeighbor <<<n_block, n_thread>>> ( n_particle, dev_particles );

Kernel_test <<<n_block, n_thread>>> ( n_particle, dev_particles );

cudaMemcpy( particles, dev_particles, n_particle * sizeof(Particle), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost );

// print an arbitrary part of the particles
  printf("after Kernel_test \n");
  for (int i = 500; i<510; i++) {
    printf("%d th: rho %e, vel[0] %e, vel[1] %e, stress[0][0] %e, stress[1][0] %e \n",
             i, particles[i].rho, particles[i].vel[0], particles[i].vel[1], particles[i].stress[0][0], particles[i].stress[1][0] );
  }

}

This is a code based on the particle scheme, where the evolution of the i-th particle is determined by the contributions from its neighbors. In principle, the neighbors should be found via dedicated functions, here the neighbors of every particles are set to 100, 101, 102, 103, 104-th particles so each particle has 5 neighbors.

Each block will be assigned to each particle, and the threads under the block will calculate the contributions from the neighbors. Although only 5 threads are needed in this example, 128 threads are hard-coded to take into account more neighbors in the future.

Each thread will store their contribution to the shared memory sdata[thread_id][:], and this will be pushed back to the original particle after reduction by the threadIdx.x = 0 thread.

There are 1000 particles in this test, and only the particle 500 ~ 509 are printed out to keep the output short.

When I run your code with the if-test uncommented, under compute-sanitizer, I get various reports of illegal activity in the kernel code, indicating invalid global read of size 4, on this line:

The reason the error “disappears” when you comment out the if-test probably has to do with compiler optimization. Commenting out the if-test allows the compiler to discard code that it has decided has no impact on the results. That seems fairly evident to me what is happening here. That line is indexing out of bounds, but if you don’t do the if-test, the compiler has no need to include that line of code.

Anyway I don’t usually try to explain the behavior of code that has illegal activity.

I suggest before asking others for help with your CUDA code (problems) that you:

1. implement rigorous, proper CUDA error checking. I don’t see evidence of that in your code.

2. run your codes with compute-sanitizer. If a problem is reported, use the methodology here to localize the fault to a particular line of kernel code.

If you want to ignore those suggestions, and ask others to help you with your code anyway, I think you may possibly, in some cases, be wasting your time, and others time. Even if you don’t understand the results of the steps above, including that information (the output of those tests) in your posting may help others to help you. Learning to use the tools available to you will help to make you a better CUDA programmer.