Illegal memory access during memset when running under nvprof

Hello all,

I’ve come across a very peculiar issue, that can be reproduced with a trivial application:

#include <cuda_runtime_api.h>

#include <exception>
#include <sstream>
#include <thread>

#define CUDA_SAFE_CALL(err)			__cudaSafeCall(err, __FILE__, __LINE__, __func__)

inline void __cudaSafeCall(cudaError err,
	const char *file, const int line, const char *func)
{
	if (err == cudaSuccess) err = cudaDeviceSynchronize();
	if (cudaSuccess != err) {
		std::stringstream errmsg;
		errmsg	<< file << "(" << line << ") : in " << func
			<< "() @ thread 0x" << std::this_thread::get_id() << " : ";
		errmsg << " runtime API error " << err << " : " <<  cudaGetErrorString(err);
		throw std::runtime_error(errmsg.str());
	}
}

void this_thread()
{
	float *ptr = NULL;
	size_t mem = 1024*1024*sizeof(*ptr);
	CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMalloc((void**)&ptr, mem));
	CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaMemset(ptr, -1, mem));

CUDA_SAFE_CALL(cudaFree(ptr));
}

int main()
{
#if 0
	auto t = new std::thread(this_thread);
	t->join();
#else
	this_thread();
#endif
}

This code runs without any issues, but fails for me when running under nvprof, with:

==208150== NVPROF is profiling process 208150, command: ./nvprof-fail
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  nvprof-fail.cu(27) : in this_thread() @ thread 0x140460196656896 :  runtime API error 700 : an illegal memory access was encountered
==208150== Profiling application: ./nvprof-fail
==208150== Profiling result:
No kernels were profiled.
No API activities were profiled.
==208150== Warning: Some profiling data are not recorded. Make sure cudaProfilerStop() or cuProfilerStop() is called before application exit to flush profile data.
======== Error: Application received signal 6

The dmesg shows the error as being an attempt at dereferencing a null pointer, I think:

[  +0.000003] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 31, pid=208141, Ch 00000010, intr 00000000. MMU Fault: ENGINE GRAPHICS GPCCLIENT_T1_0 faulted @ 0x0_00000000. Fault is of type FAULT_PDE ACCESS_TYPE_VIRT_WRITE

even though the value of ptr is valid. (The reason why the code has a variant with allocations happening on a separate thread is that I originally thought this was the issue, but apparently it also fails on the same thread.)

I’m running on a Debian unstable with the CUDA toolkit installed via distro packages (10.1.168-3), driver version 430.64 on kernel version 5.3.9 (both from distro packages). The hardware is a GTX1650 on a Dell XPS 15 7590: 01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1f91] (rev a1).

(I do not see this issue on another Debian which is still on toolkit version 9.2.148 with driver version 410.93 and kernel version 4.19.16 using a 1080.)

Is there any additional information I can provide to help pinpoint the issue?

Debian isn’t a supported environment for CUDA development.

My suggestions would be as follows:

1. Attempt to reproduce the issue in a supported environment
  2. Update to the latest CUDA (10.2) and latest driver for your GPU
  3. Make sure that the GPU in question does not have a kernel runtime limit (if necessary, remove that GPU from the X system). This may or may not be possible in a laptop environment.
  4. File a bug using the instructions linked in the sticky post at the top of this sub forum. In addition to the information here, I would include the compile command line.

I did spend some time attempting to reproduce the issue, I was not able to, although I don’t have your setup.