In Profiler, some Counters cant be choosen. Why? I am unable to choose any of the 4 "coalesced&#

Hi!

I’m trying to use the Visual Profiler (2.3.10, XP, FX 4800) and it works fine, beside one issue. I am unable to choose any of the 4 “coalesced” or “uncoalesced” options in the “Profile Counters” tab under session settings. The 4 are all greyed unlike all other options which I can choose. Does anyone have a similar problem or a solution to my problem? I noticed that I can choose these options if I use an earlier version of the profiler, but then other issues appeared…

Thanks a lot!

Jimmy

Some are only available on compute 1.1 devices, others are available from compute 1.2 and up.

Hi!

Yeah, I know. But the thing is that the FX 4800 is compute capability 1.3, so that doesn’t explain it. You’re not experiencing the same problem then I assume.

Thanks for your input

My compute 1.2 card shows me the 32/64/128 bit load/store counters (which represent coalesced loads of various bit widths)

and my compute 1.1 card shows me some unspecified global load and store counters instead.

So I guess compute 1.2 and 1.3 are able to report the global load and stores by bit width, whereas it’s all in one counter on compute 1.0 and 1.1

Ok.

Anyone else have any input or similar problems?

Maybe the code is compiled for older devices? (sm_10 or something like this)

Hi!

Yeah, I thought of that too, but both the .cu (only file) and the project are set to 1.3. Also, the profiler sees that I have a FX 4800 card. You don’t have this problem then I assume?

These counters are not available on 1.3 (or 1.2) hardware, since the whole notion of coalesced vs uncoalesced does not exist anymore on those types of hardware.

32/64/128 bit load/store counters are not available on 1.0 and 1.1 hardware since they represent the ‘new-way’ of memory accesses in the newer hardware.

So to make the answer as short as possible, you do not have a problem :)