Install minicom on jetson with orbitty carrier board

I’m going to install minicom in jetson to communicate jetson and mcu(cortex-m4).
https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2017/03/24/serial-console-nvidia-jetson-tx2/
This link connects desktop and jetson to install minicom.
1 .I want to know how to install minicom when connecting with mcu, not this.
2. What should ‘tty8’ be changed to in port setup?

To install minicom:
sudo apt-get install minicom

You will need more details by what you mean “connecting with mcu, not this”. Are you wanting to use a built in serial port to talk to the serial port of an MCU? Are you wanting to use a USB serial port to talk to an MCU?

“not this” means the connection between desktop and Jetson TX2.
I want to connect between Jetson TX2 and MCU(cortex-m4).
Only the installation of minicom has been mentioned, and no further application process has been mentioned.
Installation of minicom in jetson is complete. And I also checked to be a loopback. No examples of gpio control using minicom are available.

GPIO is not used for serial UART communications. It is conceivable that on some systems a GPIO can be used as a UART, but for Jetsons you’d want to use an actual UART. Does your MCU have a serial port on it? What settings does the MCU use for the serial port? Example, speed 115200, 8 bits, no parity, one stop bit (which is a very common setting, though just an example here).

Serial UARTs have certain defined settings for standardizing communications, and GPIO does not have this. GPIO is generally not well enough behaved to act like a serial port unless speeds are rather slow. Serial UARTs have their own clocks, buffers, and other support which can only be partly fulfilled in software when using a GPIO for that purpose (e.g., you’d probably still want a reference clock if the system clock does not have tight enough control for a GPIO to meet those specs).

Keep in mind that one of the serial UARTs will already be used as a serial console, but typically you will see serial UARTs on the Jetson via:
ls /dev/ttyS* /dev/ttyTHS*

The “ttyS” use industry standard UARTs, while the “ttyTHS” adds DMA support (the “Tegra High Speed” driver is used instead of the industry standard driver for a ttyTHS). Any “ttyS” with the same number appended on the end as the “ttyTHS” is the same hardware, but uses two different drivers. You’d use only one at a time.

Other serial UART manufacturers might use different naming conventions. For example, an FTDI USB serial UART would have a name like “/dev/ttyUSB0”.

Much of what is required to answer depends on knowing if your MCU has an industry standard serial UART, or if it only has the ability to use GPIO. Also, different voltages may be used depending on the hardware…most of the Tegra devices use a 3.3V TTL level.

1 Like