Install Nvidia driver on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server with Ubuntu Desktop on the Dell R740 Server. The real problem is to install the Nvidia driver on the system. The server has 2 Nvidia Tesla P40 GPU. I have tried several times but the Nvidia X server setting remains white and blank window. I tried to install a different version but cannot resolve the problem. I also tried the command sudo prime-select nvidia but the nvidia-smi shows no process running on GPU.

Really appreciate if you can share some knowledge and idea with me.

Thank you

The Teslas are not really made for graphics but for compute, those doesn’t have outputs. You could indeed use PRIME but this only works if your onboard graphics is an intel or amd gpu. The Dell probably has an ASPEED or Matrox server graphics so this doesn’t work.

I have Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.3 LTS installed on a Dell XPS-8500. I have a Tesla K80 with onboard graphics as intel. After installing the driver from Update Manager,

nvidia-smi

shows

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Help is appreciated.

I have a similar problem - I can’t get the driver to work.
nvidia-smi reports
Unable to determine the device handle for GPU 0000:03:00.0: Unknown Error
Using dmesg | grep -i nv
I can see kernel errors
[ 50.295927] NVRM: GPU 0000:03:00.0: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x23:0x56:498)
[ 50.295989] NVRM: GPU 0000:03:00.0: rm_init_adapter failed, device minor number 0
Do you get the same?