Install ros on drive agx

Hardware Platform: DRIVE AGX Xavier™ Developer Kit
Software Version: [DRIVE Software 9]
Host Machine Version: [Example: native Ubuntu 16.04]
SDK Manager Version: [Example: 1.0.1.5538]

when i follow the instructions on the link:http://wiki.ros.org/kinetic/Installation/Ubuntu, it shows the error :

Hi @nfli,
the documentation you are referring indicates that the distros and architectures the Ubuntu packages are built for do not include aarch64 (only armhf which is 32bit).
Please follow this FAQ:

and please consider advancing to Drive Software 10.

Hi shayNV,

All I do is just following the link:
http://wiki.ros.org/kinetic/Installation/Ubuntu . to install ros on the AGX Xavier A.
And I encountered the problem I mentioned.

Then I read the information on
ROS - How to cross compile ROS for DRIVE AGX Developer Kit with DRIVE Software 10.0

And I guess the meaning of“cross compile”is that compile ros of aarch64
architecture (which the AGX is) on the host pc (whose
architecture is x86_64)。Am I right about the understanding of the term “cross compile”?

And If I am right, could I just compile from the ros source code on the AGX Xavier A ? is and difference between them?

Besides, when I just compile from the ros source code on the AGX Xavier A , I encountered another problem : when doing the following command: rosdep install --from-paths src --ignore-src --rosdistro kinetic -y

It shows: can not install libvtk-qt because have unmet libvtk , and can not install it.

Hi @nfli,

I got below error in even generating .rosinstall file and my catkin_pkg is already updated one.
Could you seach ros community/forum first to see if any discussion about your issue? Thanks!

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~/ros_catkin_ws$ rosinstall_generator desktop_full --rosdistro kinetic --deps --wet-only --tar > kinetic-desktop-full-wet.rosinstall
Failed to fetch recursive dependencies of package ‘desktop_full’: Unable to handle package.xml format version ‘3’, please update catkin_pkg (e.g. on Ubuntu/Debian use: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade python-catkin-pkg)

Hi, I guess the meaning of“cross compile”is that compiling ros of aarch64
architecture (which the AGX is) on the host pc (whose
architecture is x86_64), then scp ros from host pc to target pc(AGX)? Am I right about the understanding of the term “cross compile”?

And If I am right, could I just compile from the ros source code on the AGX Xavier A ? is and difference between them?

For Ubuntu 18.04, no matter what kinds of installations, you should follow ROS Melodic pages under http://wiki.ros.org/melodic/Installation/Ubuntu. Thanks!

I have done like you said, and i encountered the problem. And so did you .

Please follow the cross compilation topic for this. If you want to fix the issue, it should not be NV specific and you may need to look for help in ROS communities.

@nfli this could be an issue with your /etc/apt/sources.list, documented (and still unresolved) in this thread: Empty /etc/apt/sources.list on clean DRIVE OS 5.1.6.1 image

^ Some installs of the DRIVE software result in an empty apt sources file which keeps apt from finding any packages, even if your Xavier A has an internet connection.

Could you run cat /etc/apt/sources.list from your AGX Xavier A and post the results here? If that command doesn’t return anything, it means your sources.list file is empty, and you should fill it with the contents laid out in the thread linked above, then run sudo apt update and try installing packages again.

You don’t need to compile ROS from source on the AGX – you can install it with apt, as long as you have internet and a valid sources.list file.