Installation guide of Jetpack 2.0 on tk1

Hello,
I have just started with TK1 development kit and it’s my first interaction with Linux boards.
I have host MacBook M1 Pro. I want to install Jetpack 2.0 on my TK1 from scratch using USB. I couldn’t find any installation guide related to it. Please help provide resources on step by step procedure to install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my board. Thanks!

The TK1 (Tegra K1) is old enough that it ceased new feature development before JetPack or SDK Manager ever existed. All flash is on command line (and all downloads are manual). L4T is what actually gets flashed, which is in turn Ubuntu after you add NVIDIA drivers.

You do need a desktop PC Linux to run that software (I don’t know if it is so old that newer Linux distributions would work or fail, but command line is reasonably immune to host PC versions; this doesn’t mean you wouldn’t need to deal with other packages manually). A recovery mode Jetson is a custom USB device, and it requires a custom USB driver. The flash software itself is known as the “driver package”, and this is a binary executable for Linux desktop PC.

This is the L4T release page, and you’ll want the newest Tegra K1 URL of L4T:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetson-linux-archive

This, in turn happens to be L4T R21.8:
https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra-r218

These are the basic steps:

1. Download the “driver package” and “sample root filesystem”.
  2. Decide where you are going to place this; it will probably require at least 35 GB of space. I’ll pretend you’ve decided on using “~/nvidia/tk1/” (“mkdir -p ~/nvidia/tk1/”).
  3. Move your downloaded driver package there. Unpack the driver package there as a regular user.
    tar xvfj Tegra124_Linux_R21.8.0_armhf.tbz2
  4. This will have produced the “Linux_for_Tegra/” subdirectory. Most commands will run there.
  5. Now go to “Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/”. Unpack the sample rootfs there (I’m assuming the file being unpacked is wherever you are at):
    sudo tar xvjf Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R21.ToH1lk0a.8.0_armhf.tbz2
  6. Go back to Linux_for_Tegra/.
  7. Install the NVIDIA drivers (the sample rootfs is purely Ubuntu):
    sudo ./apply_binaries.sh
  8. You are now able to flash as many times as you want from “Linux_for_Tegra/”.

When the correct USB cable is connected, and if the Jetson is in recovery mode. Some useful commands prior to flash:

• lsusb -d '0955:' (shows all NVIDIA USB devices).
  • lsusb -d '0955:7140' (shows a TK1).

Keep in mind that if this is for a third party version of the TK1 that you need different software. However, for the NVIDIA dev kit TK1, this should generate an image and flash:
sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tk1 mmcblk0p1

Passwords changed somewhat over time. There was a time when default name/pass was “nvidia”/“nvidia”. There was a time when it was “ubuntu”/“ubuntu”. Later on this became a first boot setup of name/pass, and thus there was no default. For this first boot setup you have to use a serial console. I’m not positive, but I think this was one of the default name/pass setups.

Make sure your monitor has actual HDMI and is not a VGA monitor with adapter.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.