installing 12.8 on redhat enterprise 6.3

I unpacked it to a folder in my home directory, did an SU to root. Then ran the install script and accepted all the defaults, accepted everything and did ssh for the MPI install.The problem is it apparently isn’t creating the 12.8 folder inside of the /opt/pgi/linux86-64/ folder. All I can find is the 2012 folder in there. Is there some issue with redhat enterprise 6 that could be causing this?

Even if I make the 12.8 folder manually and try to reinstall everything the bin file still isn’t created within it and numerous other (but not all) files seem to be missing.

Hi vibrantcascade,

Granted, while we don’t support RHEL 6.3 yet, this is very odd behaviour. I’ll need to try and replicate it to understand what’s going on. We’re there any error messages during installation?

Thanks,
Mat

vib,

Just a sanity check.

1. You downloaded the file pgilinux-2012-128.tar.gz
    % md5sum pgilinux-2012-128.tar.gz
    62a264d994b8d186885bac41e65bdcc9 pgilinux-2012-128.tar.gz

does the checksum match?

1. You installed as follows

a. untar in some area like /tmp/pgi
cp pgilinux-128.tar.gz /tmp/.
cd /tmp; mkdir pgi; cd /tmp/pgi
tar xvf …/pgilinux-128.tar.gz

b. run /tmp/pgi/install
and ask for a ‘Single Platform Install’, and install
in the destination directory, for example, /opt/pgi

c. Set up your environment
setenv PGI /opt/pgi
set path=($PGI/linux86/12.8/bin $path) ! for 32-bit by default
set path=($PGI/linux86-64/12.8/bin $path) ! for 64-bit by default
setenv LM_LICENSE_FILE $PGI/license.dat

or in bash

export PGI=/opt/pgi
export PATH=$PGI/linux86/12.8/bin:$PATH ! for 32-bit
export PATH=$PGI/linux86-64/12.8/bin:$PATH ! for 64-bit
export LM_LICENSE_FILE=$PGI/license.dat

d. Store your trial license as $PGI/license.dat and run the compilers,
or store your permanent license as $PGI/license.dat, run
% lmgrd.rc start
and then run the compilers.

regards,
dave

Hmm it appears that using the gui method to extract the tar by double clicking was causing problems, while the command line un-tar works fine. I never really thought there was a difference. Thanks for the guide jtull!

It mostly appears to be working now. I ran into 1 error I’m slightly worried about below. I’m doing only fortran programming and the license I have is for fortran+accelerator. So does not having g++ installed prior to installing the compiler break anything I’ll need or is that for pgi c++ only?

Installing software into /opt/pgi (this may take some time).
#################################

ERROR: g++ not found;
successful use of c++ compilers requires existence of g++ libraries

Also, I’m assuming this error is harmless and just there because I already did some partial installs before it fully worked this time?

See the files /opt/pgi/linux86-64/12.8/mpi.csh[,.sh]
for examples of how to set your environment to run and debug MPI programs.

ln: creating symbolic link ./mpi': File exists ln: creating symbolic link ./mpi’: File exists

Thanks!
Morgan

Hi Morgan,

So does not having g++ installed prior to installing the compiler break anything I’ll need or is that for pgi c++ only?

Correct, pgcpp needs some g++ system headers and libraries but Fortran doesn’t need them so your fine.

Also, I’m assuming this error is harmless and just there because I already did some partial installs before it fully worked this time?

Correct. The local “mpi” directory is a link to the common “2012/mpi” directory. This is just a complaint that the link already exists.

• Mat