Installing CUDA 8.0 Toolkit with an older version of NVIDIA Driver (v361.119)

Hello all,

I have an IBM Power Systems S822LC (8335-GTB) server that has 2 Tesla P100 GPUs and is running on an Ubuntu POWER8 Operating System. I am trying to install the PowerAI (release 3.4) deep learning software package in it (https://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/server/POWER/Linux/mldl/ubuntu/README.html), however, I am having problems installing the compatible NVIDIA driver for the said PowerAI release.

I saw the note that the “PowerAI Release 3.4 requires a version 361 GPU driver. Version 375 GPU drivers are available for download from NVIDIA (see below) but are not yet tested or supported with PowerAI”. However, whenever I try installing the CUDA 8.0 Toolkit from the debian package that I downloaded from the NVIDIA driver site, it is installing the newest NVIDIA driver for my Tesla P100s, which is 375.66. Even if I install the required version of the GPU driver, it’s trying to update it to the latest one.

The typical commands I use in installing the debian package are:

sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1604-8-0-local-ga2v2_8.0.61-1_ppc64el.deb sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cuda`

How could I prevent the update of NVIDIA driver whenever I try to install the CUDA 8.0 Toolkit?

Best regards,

Paul