Installing GeForce 8800GTS Dell Precision 690 or T7400

I read this forum and found out that Windows XP X64 only allows one video driver. I was going to use the installed video card nvidia quadro NVS 290 as my primary card and install the GeForce 8800GTS in the second slot. This is a Dell Precision T7400. I loaded the drivers and crashed. I would have known that if I had read this forum first. I reviewed supported cards for my driver and see that the NVS 290 does not use the same driver. So, I either need to get another GeForce card or just use my 8800 as the primary video card.

If I use the GeForce 8800GTS as my primary video card, can I still use it for CUDA programming. If that is possible, how much is my CUDA code processing performance deminished? The software I’m porting over does hugh amounts of ray tracing for field strength analysis. The process opens a command prompt and prints texts to show where it is in the process. It is not doing anything visually demanding. Other than the command window with text, is the desktop. I wouldn’t think that requires much of the video card.

If I use a Tesla card C870, is it correct that the downloadable driver from the NVIDA site is not a video driver?

I’m just getting started with this project and very happy this forum exists.

Thanks,
Ronbtom

You can use your primary video card for computations. If there’s not much work going on, you probably won’t even notice the drop in performance. You’ll loose a few megabytes of memory (used for framebuffer) and there’s the additional requirement that each kernel call must take less than about 5 seconds to complete (otherwise the system will consider it as broken and terminate it).

Thanks.

My Dell T7400 has 2 PCIe ports. I have the GeForce 8800GTS in the PCIe X16. I have anothe PCIe X8. can I install a GeForce 8600GT in the PCIe X8 slot? This is non CUDA capable but supported by the same driver as my 8800GTS. Then I could set the 8600GT as primary video freeing my 8800GTS for CUDA programming. Can I do this without using SLI? Anything you can think of that would be a problem?

Thanks,

Ronbtom