Interoperation between OpenACC and CUDA lib

Hello,

I’m trying to successfully combine NPP which is a CUDA lib with OpenACC to boost some operations on GPU. I use NPP to allocate memory on device and to compute some operations, then I have a for loop surrounded by a pragma data clause to tell the compiler that these pointers (pSrc and pDst) are allocated on device memory, as the following code shows:

#include <npp.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[]){

NppiSize imageSize = {2048, 2048};
        int stepSrc = 0;
        int stepDst = 0;

Npp32f *pSrc = nppiMalloc_32f_C1(imageSize.width, imageSize.height, &stepSrc);
        Npp32f *pDst = nppiMalloc_32f_C1(imageSize.width, imageSize.height, &stepDst);

nppiSet_32f_C1R((Npp32f) 1.0f, pSrc, stepSrc, imageSize);

float alpha = 5.0f;
        float bias = 1.0f;

#pragma acc data deviceptr(pSrc, pDst) 
        {
                #pragma acc parallel loop
                for (int j = 0; j < imageSize.height; ++j)
                {
                        for (int i = 0; i < imageSize.width; ++i)
                        {
                            pDst[j*stepSrc/sizeof(Npp32f) + i] = pSrc[j*stepDst/sizeof(Npp32f) + i] * alpha + bias;
                        }
                }
        }
        nppiFree(pSrc);
        nppiFree(pDst);
}

When I try to compile the code with

nvcc  saxpy.cpp -ccbin=pgc++ -Xcompiler " -Minfo=accel -ta=tesla:cuda8.0 -Mcuda=8.0 "  -I/opt/tools/cuda-8.0/include  -o saxpy -L/opt/tools/cuda-8.0/lib64  -lnppc -lnppi

It shows the following error of the linking phase:

nvcc warning : The 'compute_20', 'sm_20', and 'sm_21' architectures are deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use -Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
main:
     19, Accelerator kernel generated
         Generating Tesla code
         21, #pragma acc loop gang, vector(128) /* blockIdx.x threadIdx.x */
         23, #pragma acc loop seq
     23, Complex loop carried dependence of pDst->,pSrc-> prevents parallelization
         Loop carried reuse of pDst-> prevents parallelization
nvlink warning : SM Arch ('sm_20') not found in '/tmp/tmpxft_000012bb_00000000-4_saxpy.o'
/tmp/tmpxft_000012bb_00000000-6_saxpy_dlink.o: In function `__cudaRegisterLinkedBinary_9saxpy_cpp':
/tmp/tmpxft_000012bb_00000000-2_saxpy_dlink.reg.c:2: undefined reference to `__fatbinwrap_9saxpy_cpp'
pgacclnk: child process exit status 1: /bin/ld

Thanks for your help,

Manuel.

Hi Manuel,

Since you’re not linking the device code with PGI, you’ll want to add “-ta=tesla:nordc” to the PGI compile options.

Though since the file doesn’t contain CUDA specific language constructs, just host side API calls to NPP, you can compile the file with pgc++ directly and not use nvcc.

Note that I don’t have CUDA 8.0 on my system so the examples below use CUDA 9.2 where it looks like some of the NPP library names have changed.

% nvcc saxpy.cpp  -ccbin=pgc++ -Xcompiler " -Minfo=accel -ta=tesla:cuda9.2 -ta=tesla:nordc -Mcuda " -I/opt/tools/cuda-9.2/include -o saxpy -L/opt/tools/cuda-9.2/lib64 -lnppisu -lnppc -lnppidei                               main:
     20, Generating Tesla code
         23, #pragma acc loop seq
         Loop carried dependence of pDst-> prevents parallelization
         Loop carried backward dependence of pDst-> prevents vectorization

% pgc++ -ta=tesla:cuda9.2 saxpy.cpp -Mcuda -Minfo=accel -L /opt/cuda-9.2/lib64 -lnppisu -lnppc -lnppidei
main:
     20, Generating Tesla code
         23, #pragma acc loop seq
         Loop carried dependence of pDst-> prevents parallelization
         Loop carried backward dependence of pDst-> prevents vectorization

Hope this helps,
Mat