Intrinsic and extrinsic camera calibration

Please provide the following info (check/uncheck the boxes after creating this topic):
Software Version
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.6
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.6 and DriveWorks 4.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0 and DriveWorks 3.5
[+] NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 9.0 (Linux)
other DRIVE OS version
other

Target Operating System
[+] Linux
QNX
other

Hardware Platform
[+] NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Pegasus DevKit (E3550)
other

SDK Manager Version
[+] 1.7.0.8846
other

Host Machine Version
[+] native Ubuntu 18.04
other
Hi team,

I am planning to do the camera calibration for the nvidia agx drive compatible camera we have. I have few doubts,

1. Whether we need extrinsics and external folders (with data) in folder structure if I want to do intrinsic only calibration?
  2. Is there any way we can complete both intrinsic and extrinsic calibration without using external camera images?

As we are yet to procure an external camera I wonder whether its possible to complete camera calibration without it.

awaiting your valuable response.

Thank you,
Nithin

Dear @nithin.m1,
Just to understand your query, you want to compute intrinsic/extrinsic parameters of a camera with out having it?

Hi @SivaRamaKrishnaNV
No. We already have camera which needs to be calibrated. But we dont have the external camera which is required for camera calibration as per static camera calibration. I was referring about external camera only

Hi @nithin.m1,
Got it.

Whether we need extrinsics and external folders (with data) in folder structure if I want to do intrinsic only calibration?

No need

Is there any way we can complete both intrinsic and extrinsic calibration without using external camera images?

No. External camera is needed for extrinsics calibration

Hi @SivaRamaKrishnaNV ,

Thanks for your reply,

Currently we received one Sekonix SF3325-10X (2mp,60FOV) camera along with the NVIDIA Drive AGX Xavier. We are planning to detect lanes and objects using drivenet and lanenet DNNs using this camera as our front camera.
Also we want to calculate the distance to ego lanes and distance to detected objects (like car) for our LKA and collision avoidance algorithm developments. For this purpose only we want to do the calibration of the provided camera.
The below link only we are following for camera calibration.
https://docs.nvidia.com/drive/driveworks-3.5/dwx_camera_calibration.html#dwx_camera_calibration_tools_dir

Currently we don’t have the external camera with specified specifications as shown in above screenshot.
why do we need another external camera for extrinsic calibration?
if its not possible without external camera, can you suggest any alternate method to complete the extrinsic calibration? (We have checked the possibility of using camera calibration sample for dynamic calibration but as we don’t have calibrated IMU this option also not working at the moment).

Please refer to the below explanation from the document.

In addition to capturing frames from the vehicle’s cameras, a set of images also needs to be captured with the external camera.
These images help construct a calibration graph as they introduce a link between targets not observable by the car cameras.
These targets can include ground targets, wheel targets, and between targets of individual cameras.