Invalid argument with cudaMemcpyToArray

I encountered something a bit curious. I used to declare an array like this:

channelDesc = cudaCreateChannelDesc(32, 32, 0, 0, cudaChannelFormatKindSigned);

cudaMallocArray(&array_gpu, &channelDesc, Size1, Size2);

cudaMemcpyToArray(array_gpu, 0, 0, Array, 2*Size1*Size2*sizeof(int), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

With my model size increasing, I’ve reached the height limit of 32 768 for Size2. So I got one ‘invalid argument’ after the cudaMallocArray. Fair enough, I knew it, so I decided to swap width and height (since Size1 is much smaller). So now I have this:

cudaMallocArray(&array_gpu, &channelDesc, Size2, Size1);

cudaMemcpyToArray(array_gpu, 0, 0, Array, 2*Size1*Size2*sizeof(int), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

No error anymore after cudaMallocArray as expected. But this time I got one ‘Invalid argument’ for cudaMemcpyAToArray… Any ideas? I might not see something obvious I don’t know, but swapping width and height doesn’t change the size of the array and therefore shouldn’t change anything to the cudaMemcpyToArray. No?

FYI, Array is allocated on CPU like this:

int * Array = new int[2*Size1*Size2];

Aren’t you trying to copy into the array twice as many bytes as were allocated on the GPU for the array?

Paulius

Nope. I declare my array on CPU like this:

int * Array = new int[2*Size1*Size2];

And I try to copy it on GPU by declaring an array like that:

cudaMallocArray(&array_gpu, &channelDesc, Size1, Size2)

I’m using a cudaChannelFormatDesc of 2 integers. So with a a width of Size1 and a height of Size2, that should be fine. No?

And again, if I swap height and width in the declaration of the array on GPU, that works… And it shouldn’t change anything when you swap height and width anyway, no?.

Can anyone see anything weird? Or would it be a strange bug?

I see. Can you post a small self-contained .cu file with the relevenat code for repro?

Paulius