"invalid device ordinal"

Hello,

I am trying to accelerate some of the loops in my code. I have inserted the #pragma before the loop and the code compiles fine using:

pgc++ -fast -Minfo=all,ccff -ta=tesla:cc5 *.cpp

I have a GTX960M so the compile flags for the code to build are correct.

I have two accelerators available to me:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics [8086:191b] (rev 06)
01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] [10de:139b] (rev a2)

When I run the executable I get the following error:

========= Program hit CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_DEVICE (error 101) due to “invalid device ordinal” on CUDA API call to cuDevicePrimaryCtxRetain.
========= Saved host backtrace up to driver entry point at error

I am only assuming that it is trying to run the code generated for the GTX 980M on the Integrated Graphics accelerator. How do I specify which accelerator to use? I assumed it would be done automatically but obviously not.

Many thanks for any insights?

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Are you setting the device number via a call to “acc_set_device_num” or the environment variable ACC_DEVICE_NUM? If so, does it match the device number for the GTX960?

If not, run the utility “pgaccelinfo” and see what devices the runtime sees on your system. Then try setting ACC_DEVICE_NUM to the device number for the GTX960.

-Mat