Inverted video and display shifted when using Panasonc Viera TV as a monitor?

Hi, all

I hope there is a simple answer to this question…

Ive just powered up my Nano for the first time, and having gone through the various setup stages, I arrived a t the desktop display. The first thing I noticed was that the backdrop is predominantly white, with pink patterning, rather than the balck/green shown in the tutorial videos, however I didn’t really take much notice at the time.
More importantly, the ‘task bar’ down the left hand side of the display is 75% hidden off the edge of the screen, and no amount of fiddling with the available screen resolutions will bring it on to the screen properly. The TV I’m using as a monitor is a 47" Panasonic Viera ET5 series, and it is connected via a good quality HDMI lead.

Anyway, noving onwards I installed a USB wifi adaptor (the recommended EdiMax one) and managed to get it to connect to my wireless network ok - then, as a test, I tried to play some of the YouTube videos from Nvidia’s website and discoverred that the video on these (and other YouTube videos) is inverted (certainly the Chrominance component, not so sure about the Luminance).
I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but looking at the display properties, Ubuntu seems to think that the display is a 32" type.

Obviously, this colour inversion is the reason that the backdrop was white/pink at the start, and since it’s not something that I can live with, I need to find a solution.

Has anyone come across this before, and how did you solve it?

Many thanks for any advice/assistance you can offer
John

Sounds like your TV isn’t designed to act as a computer monitor.

1. The “taskbar hidden” means that your TV implements “overscan,” where it hides the edges of the picture. Old glass tube TVs had to do this to show a rectangular picture to you, but there’s no reason modern TVs SHOULD do this. However, TV vendors sometimes DO do this anyway, for mainly hysterical reasons. Some TVs let you turn this off; if your Panasonic allows that, then do that.

2. The “pink color” may be a color format mismatch. HDMI can send YUV or RGB data. Perhaps your TV assumes that all data sent is YUV, but tells the Nano that it supports RGB, so the Nano sends RGB and it gets interpreted wrongly by the TV. (I’ve seen this in old/cheap Chinese displays before.)

The solution is to look in the TV settings to see if there are options to turn off overscan, and to go into RGB mode. If that’s not available, then find a firmware update to your TV that makes it provide a proper EDID identifier to the Nano. If your TV does not have a firmware update available for it, then you need to find another TV.