Is a development driver necessary?

I tried installing the CUDA development driver on my HP EliteBook 8540p notebook, and it freezes my computer. HP, of course, is reluctant to do anything about it, and simply says that “CUDA development is not supported on this laptop” – even though I have a CUDA-compatible graphics card, Quadro NVS 5100.

But anyway… for the time being I am stuck with a “regular” HP-provided driver for my laptop. I was able to download CUDA SDK 2.3, and run a couple of sample programs. They all reported successfully connecting to my device. So, do I really need those development drivers? If so, for what? I won’t do any heavy-duty development on this laptop, but I need to compile and execute some simple kernels.

Thanks!

Anatoliy

What version of the NV driver are you running? Each toolkit has a minimum driver level it needs. The “development” drivers are usually just for the latest greatest toolkits, after a regular driver release or two, those same toolkits work with public release drivers. 2.3 is quite old though, but maybe that means the HP drivers are even older.

You can play games with INF files to install any driver on a laptop. It’s annoying but usually straightforward. You’re right that the OEMs are often hinderances, not help.

laptops are always funny with graphics card drivers as the laptop maker chanegd the physical layout of the graphics card to fit it in the laptop or accept the cooling system of a particular laptop, it isnt the same as a desktop that takes standard parts.

Ah thanks guys, what a load off my mind! I thought I wouldn’t be able to develop on this laptop at all.

I am using 198.05. I wouldn’t call it old, but I guess time is compressed in the CUDA world:-) Since I only need to write simple kernels, it should be ok. Is there any general information about how I can manipulate INF files to fit a newer driver to my laptop?

Check out the link that SPWorley posted. I think they tweak the INF files on the official drivers a bit, then re-release them. If they don’t have one that works for your laptop, perhaps they have a contact form or something where you can send in some information about your hardware and have it added to their database (and included in their tweaks).

Check out the link that SPWorley posted. I think they tweak the INF files on the official drivers a bit, then re-release them. If they don’t have one that works for your laptop, perhaps they have a contact form or something where you can send in some information about your hardware and have it added to their database (and included in their tweaks).