Is it possible to check whether new image is bootable or not during bootloader update flow?

Hi,
During Nano’s bootloader update flow, we could see that there is one chain, from BCT_64 to KFS-1, being updated completely in Step-2.
Is is possible to try to boot up from the chain and check whether the new image is bootable or not?

Thanks

hello AaronCMLan ,

you should dig into bootloader for the details.
it’s Bootloader Update and Redundancy to have Bootloader updates safely and ensures that a usable Bootloader partition exists at all times during an update.
thanks

Hi Jerry,
I have studied Bootloader Update and Redundancy, but we want to know whether the specific step in update flow could be modified or not.
In other words, we want to know whether the update flow could be customized or not.

Thanks

hello AaronCMLan ,

may I have more details for your actual use-case? for example, what’s the expectation results.
thanks

Hi Jerry,
We would like Jetson Nano to update with rollback capability.
When the path(/chain) of “BCT_64 → NVC1 → BFS-1 → KFS-1” is updated with new image , bootloader starts to reboot from the path and if it boots up successfully, then system reboot to bootloader to update the other path of “BCT_1/BCT_xx → NVC → BFS → KFS”.
However , if it fails to boot up several times, then bootloader marks BCT_64 as invalid and roll back to boot up from the previous boot-able path “BCT_1/BCT_xx → NVC → BFS → KFS”.

Thanks.

that’s correct, please also see Bootloader Update Flow for update process.

Hi Jerry,
I had read Bootloader Update Flow.
From the document, it doesn’t support to check whether new image is boot-able or not, so we just want to know if the update process can be modified or not by user.
If it can’t be modified, what is the limitation? BootROM can’t be modified by user, right?

Thanks.

hello AaronCMLan ,

the update flow cannot be customized,
you may update one partition at a time for your bootloader development.
it’s redundancy to avoid booting failure, there’re always copy partitions must have the same names as their primaries with the suffix ‘‑1’.