Is it possible to flash a Jetson Orin NX 16 GB with NVMe SSD remotely?

I am able to SSH into the device via its ethernet connection, but I don’t see any documentation on how to flash Jetpack to the device without a USB connection.
At the top of this documentation page there is a note that says you must connect via USB.
Flashing Support — Jetson Linux Developer Guide documentation (nvidia.com)

My use case is that I need to be able to flash multiple Jetson Orin NX 16 GB remotely because I am in a different location than the devices and they will be spread across the Country.

The short answer is “no”.

Jetsons do not have a BIOS, and thus they cannot self-flash. Recovery mode turns them into a custom USB device, and use a custom driver in that mode (the actual flash software is appropriately called the “driver package”; JetPack/SDK Manager is just a front end to this). There are sometimes ways to update pieces of the system if it is fully booted, but this is unreliable and risky, and very often leaves the previously bootable Jetson in a state where it has to be completely flashed to run again. Recovery mode must use the correct USB connector.

I will suggest that if the Jetson is already sufficiently set up, then there might be OTA (“over the air”) updates possible, but these are not flash. One restriction is you won’t be able to change major release version. Another restriction is that you won’t be able to change layout, e.g., you couldn’t switch from eMMC boot to NVMe boot.

Thanks for confirming!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.