Is jetpack 5.0 already using UEFI?

I have seen in the update notes that a switch has been made to UEFI for boot. However my system is reading it’s info from /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf on the emmc. Is the UEFI implementation on the Jetson devices similar to that of a desktop pc?

It is UEFI. However, using extlinux.conf does not contradict this. This is part of the bootloader app, which runs under UEFI. A PC tends to combine GRUB inside of UEFI. UEFI is very flexible, and GRUB does not run on arm64/aarch64. Basically, UEFI is a specification of services and firmware arrangements, and has as its very purpose a more abstract (more object oriented IMHO) way of allowing each platform to choose how to boot.

Ok thanks! That makes much more sense.

grub can run on aarch64/arm64
just i did a mistake when i installed it
forget to run grub-update

Did you compile GRUB yourself? There is no reason it couldn’t work, but I’ve not seen anyone port it to arm64/aarch64 before. Glad it works though. I think without UEFI GRUB would be a real pain to make it work on a Jetson.

sudo apt install grub-efi-arm64
mount efi partion to /boot/efi
sudo grub-install
sudo grub-update (this is what i forget to cause no boot options in grub but grub console works)
then done? i am not sure
and grub need uart to see

This is an interesting evolution. I’m thinking that if the grub-efi-arm64 is built to be used by UEFI, then this is why it would work. Previously, with custom TBoot+CBoot, the stock GRUB would have never worked at all. I think we’ll be seeing some interesting boot options on Jetsons now which were never before possible.

Macbookpro M1 can have grub too
(Asahi Linux)