is there a "soft" way of turning the nano on after shutting it down?

the only way I found is by disconnecting and reconnecting the power. This will eventually ruin the plug.

1 Like

You might be interested in the button header, J40. Go here for documentation:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/downloads#?tx=$product,jetson_nano

Then look for the “Jetson Nano Developer Kit User Guide”. Search for J40.

Basically you can add a button to short momentarily between the button power on (pin 1) and ground (pins 2, 4, 6, or 8) as a method to start.

You can use multiple software commands to shut down, e.g., “sudo shutdown -h now” to halt, or “sudo shutdown -r now” for reboot. Or the GUI interface.

Alas, this is not true.
after shutdown -h now, both on and rst do nothing.

in order to turn it “off” off, you need to use the jumper(7-8) I believe and a switch on 1-2. But then, if you loose power it won’t turn on by itself. probably better to introduce your own switch for now. I’ll assume 3rd party system boards or future system boards will have things like power management on them.

Are you trying to start up at a certain time everyday? Restart after shutdown? You need to define your problem statement.

For example – I want to shut down the Nano every night at 10:30 p.m., and then start back up at 6:00 a.m. the next morning.

You’d write a little shell script that can interact with an IC like the following:

The script would look at the current system time and determine the number of seconds until 6:00 a.m. Then, you’d set crontab to run at 10:30 each evening – running your shell script and then shutting the nano down. The little IC will tick away in the background and when a certain number of seconds have passed, it’ll trigger the pins on J40, causing the nano to boot.

This might work too: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Adafruit%20PDFs/3296_Web.pdf

oh, does “shutdown now” behave differently for you than passing any flags? I know -r works for me, and -p isn’t enabled obviously. I never use -h unless I’m purposefully going to single user mode.

Apologies, you are right. I did not explain myself properly.
The way i currently work with the nano is with several sd cards that i boot from. To switch between them, i shutdown -h (it turns the nano off off, power led turned off) and switch sd card and reboot. I feel a bit uncomfortable switching sd cards while power is still on.

However, the only way to get out of this state is disconnecting and reconnecting the power.

So, my question should actually be phrased:
Can i switch sd cards after shutdown without - h? If not, is there a way to restart the nano from shutdown -h without disconnect /reconnect to power?

When you shutdown -h it does turn off the light, but at least in my case, the fan is still being supplied power (3 lead noctua), so it’s not all the way off as far as I’m concerned.

But, from halt. if you short 7-8 and 1-2 at the same time it’ll wake back up all the way.

I think that’s a little better than jumpering it if you expect it to come back from a power loss.

I guess I’ll be buying another contact switch in the future.

7-8 and 1-2 on j40? dis and on?

Yep.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of putting a ratchet or toggle switch on 7-8.
I’ll have to remember that whenever I get around to making a case.
3 contact switches, 1 switch with a state.

Oh, I haven’t been bothering with powering down when I swap cards either. But I’m running off usb so I don’t worry about the filesystem at all.

Well then – your problem is much easier to solve. You’ll still use the CLI or GUI to shutdown. But you’ll make some adjustments on J40. Use a 2.54mm jumper across J40.7-J40.8, then connect a momentary switch (or just a couple of wires for now) to J40.1-J40.2. Every time you want to turn it on, you just hit the switch, or touch the wires. If you have an old computer case lying around – you can likely just salvage the reset switch and use that.

Thank you! works like charm. I actually tried it but for some reason it didn’t work.