Is TX2 can be used for Automotive?

Hi,
Just want to ask if the TX2 is an automotive grade or qualified to be used for automotive? Or should we use the Drive PX platform instead?

I think Drive PX has rather more inbuilt options for automotive. However, in my opinion, the platforms are very similar, but for input/output interfaces.

Well depends on the topic of your project
I think Drive PX 2 is way too expansive for the personal project, especially for students
so i bought the TX2 for the Deeplearning on the automotive

Can you stick a TX2 on a 12V power regulator and shove it into a car? Yes, that will “work fine.” (I highly recommend a 24V 5KW TVS followed by a 36V input DC/DC boost/buck (or SEPIC) regulator to condition the terrible noise and load dumps you’ll see on automotive 12V power busses.)

That being said, I can’t find any information that says that TX2 is currently qualified for automotive use. Thus, if that’s what you need, then you should go with PX2 instead.

For the students: Electronic components need to undergo more stringent testing to be considered “automotive qualified.” People drive their cars in -40C snowstorms, and then park them in 50C desert sun where cabin temperatures can exceed 80C. Then they want their cars to last for 20 years of these kinds of cycles (although 10 years may be more of an average design life.) And if something breaks in a car, it can cause a two ton metal clump to slam into a schoolbus full of kindergartners, even if it’s not directly related to engine control, brake control, or steering. Imagine the car stereo suddenly blasting noise at 100% volume – most people would startle, which could make you swerve on the freeway.

Thus, for reasons such as these, manufacturers will say “do not use this in cars” for components that haven’t been specifically designed to put into cars. That doesn’t mean that you can’t use those components in your own cars, but it does mean that someone who sells systems for actual integration into cars won’t use them, because the manufacturer doesn’t warrant usage in automotive applications.

There are other safety critical and reliability qualifications, ranging from telecom, to medical, to aircraft, to nuclear power, to space …
The main reason for these are not purely the physical form of the products, but the legal and financial expectations that go on top of the products. (Well, space really does need rad hardened physical forms.)
Costs go up accordingly.