Isaac Gym MJCF Importer

Hi,

It says on the docs (isaacgym/docs/programming/assets.html) that the MJCF importer supports only primitive shapes and not meshes. First, I just want to confirm: is this true? Because Isaac Gym allows for meshes in URDF files, so I was a little confused as to why the docs say it hasn’t been implemented for the MJCF importer. Second: if it is true, do you have any idea when the MJCF importer will allow for loading meshes?

For more context, I want to try simulating a differential drive from an MJCF file that uses more than just primitive shapes. I saw in this post that the URDF importer doesn’t yet support transmission elements, and as far as I know, it’s not possible to make a differential drive without the transmission elements. Are they supported in Isaac Gym Preview 3? If they are, I can try making my differential drive in a URDF.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi there,

The MJCF importer should now support loading in any mesh file extensions that are supported by the Assimp library. We have used meshes for our Ingenuity example, which uses a MJCF file for the asset.