Isaac Gym on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

I’m wondering if it’s possible to install Isaac Gym on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2)?

As far as I know, Isaac Gym isn’t supported for WSL. I tried (1) integrating with WSL and (2) running Ubuntu in Virtual Box and neither of these worked. I ended up creating a dual boot with Windows on one partition and Ubuntu on another and managed to get it to work.

1 Like

isaacgym docker can run on WSL2

Hi, I’m a bit confused.
Do you mean running a docker inside the WSL2 (win → wsl2 → docker → isaacgym)? or running a ubuntu docker inside the windows (win → docker → isaacgym)?

Hi, I mean win → wsl2 → docker → isaacgym

1 Like

Hi, Can I run using anaconda inside the wsl2 too with this method? (with nvidia docker)

Sorry, I’m not sure, you can have a try : )

1 Like

Have you experienced with any trouble when using wsl2? I followed the instructions here NVIDIA GPU Accelerated Computing on WSL 2 and here GPU accelerated ML training in WSL | Microsoft Learn
The example script joint_monkey.py still failed to keep running with the same problem here Unhandled descriptor set followed by segmentation fault.
When starting the container, it reported WARNING: The NVIDIA Driver was not detected even if I run the run.sh script with nvidia-docker instead of docker
I run vulkaninfo in the wsl2 (not the docker container), it shows WARNING: lavapipe is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only., which means wsl2 does not access GPU appropriately.
Also, I run modprobe nvidia. It cannot find module nvidia.

great thanks

Hi, I wonder if there is a docker image of isaacgym on docker hub? I followed the installation steps in WSL2 but it all ended with *** Warning: failed to preload CUDA lib. I saw the same problem in Wsl2 and Isaac Gym problem, but still not solved.

No,if you using an anaconda envirment in WSL2 your cudatoolkit may not able to find GPU device.

Guys! forget this WSL, move to Omni Isaac Sim, i’m suing it on Windows, you can use gym, URDF importer, everything! really amazing!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.