IsaacSim4.0 from NVIDIA NGC in Singularity container

Hi everyone,
I am trying to set up a singularity container with isaacsim (specifically 4.0). I can successfully build a .sif image starting from isaac’s one at nvcr.io/nvidia/isaac-sim:4.0.0. However, Aside from some cache folders which are used by isaac in the home folder, looks to me that Isaac also writes stuff/cache inside it’s own installation folder (i.e. /isaac-sim). With singularity that’s an issue, since the filesystem is read-only. For the caches in the root folder it’s easy, since I can simply bind them, but with the ones inside Isaac it gets tricky. E.g. running ./omni.isaac.sim.warmup.sh gives me

OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/isaac-sim/kit/exts/omni.gpu_foundation/cache/nv_shadercache'

At:
  /isaac-sim/kit/python/lib/python3.10/os.py(230): makedirs
  /isaac-sim/kit/exts/omni.gpu_foundation/omni/gpu_foundation_factory/impl/foundation_extension.py(77): setup_shadercache_locations
  /isaac-sim/kit/exts/omni.gpu_foundation/omni/gpu_foundation_factory/impl/foundation_extension.py(142): on_startup
  /isaac-sim/kit/kernel/py/omni/ext/_impl/_internal.py(164): _startup_ext
  /isaac-sim/kit/kernel/py/omni/ext/_impl/_internal.py(224): startup
  /isaac-sim/kit/kernel/py/omni/ext/_impl/_internal.py(328): startup_extension
  PythonExtension.cpp::startup()(2): <module>
  /isaac-sim/exts/omni.isaac.kit/omni/isaac/kit/simulation_app.py(350): _start_app
  /isaac-sim/exts/omni.isaac.kit/omni/isaac/kit/simulation_app.py(197): __init__
  /isaac-sim/./standalone_examples/api/omni.isaac.kit/hello_world.py(13): <module>

2024-06-13 23:01:04 [1,159ms] [Error] [omni.ext.plugin] [ext: omni.gpu_foundation-0.0.0] Failed to startup python extension.
[1.191s] [ext: carb.windowing.plugins-1.0.0] startup

My nvidia setup inside the container works perfectly fine (I can run nvidia-smi without any issues or create torch tensors on GPU). How can I solve this keeping IsaacSim inside the container? An option would be to copy it outside and then just mount it, but I’d like to avoid this if possible.
Thanks in advance

Hi. We do not have a solution for the read-only file system yet.
For now, a workaround is to bind those cache folders separately.

1 Like