Issue after installing Jetpack

Hi,
The Jetpack and DeepStream installation is successful.

However, I cant ping or ssh to the Jetson’s IP addr after done installation.
Could you give me some advice, pls ?

Try to use the serial console and see what happened.

Hi, thank you for your help.
What should I adjust the “Serial Device” in minicom when the “dmesg --follow” logs like below:

After pluging in and out the cable, “dmesg --follow” prints something but I dont see anything being changed in /dev.

Hi,

I don’t know what you are talking about. Why is this log related to serial device and minicom?

Is this the log from your jetson after you connect the ethernet cable?

Hi,
In the video you sent me above, someone plugs in the cable (USB to what kind of jack, I dont know) and the “dmesg --follow” logs “ttyUSB0” on the screen and he/she adjusts the Serial Device into “/dev/ttyUSB0”.
In my case, I use the USB-LAN cable and the “dmesg --follow” logs something like the above image which is not simillar to the video and there’s nothing being changed in the “/dev” also.

Hi,

You need to get usb ttl cable… connect it to jetson’s specific pin. And there would be /dev/ttyUSB0 generated on your host machine. Use mincom or picocom to open that node and power on the board to dump log.

You have to buy a usb-ttl cable but not just use something has that usb… this is totally different…

Also, is this your first time using sdkmanager to flash the board?

1 Like

Yeah, my first time.

So have you configured your user account by connecting the monitor to jeton or not?

It just a Jetson xavier NX board and there’re no peripheral devices’s ports.
It is configured that there’s only one way to connect from host is using a USB-LAN cable and “ssh”.

Does micro usb cable still connect to your jetson?

I can provide you 3 methods to dump the situation on the board, but only the usb-ttl method is the most precise way to tell what happened.

1. HDMI/DP monitor + usb keyboard

2. micro usb cable on the flash port → check if there is /dev/ttyACM0 on your host generated

3. usb-ttl cable to dump serial log

If you cannot connect any of them above, then there is nothing I can help check. You just relfash your board again and see if it would be back.

Ok, thank you a lot.

Some facts (in no particular order) which you might find useful:

• Serial console on some models is available over the micro-USB port via a micro-B USB cable to host PC. It is on the host PC that you’d see something like “/dev/ttyUSB0” (though the number and name often differs, depending on brand of cable; in a micro-USB port the UART is on the Jetson itself, but on models with pins 8 and 10 of a header being used, you have to have your own serial USB cable, with a 3.3V level, a.k.a., a “TTL” level USB UART at 3.3V).
  • Serial console allows you to log in even when much is crashed and burning. You probably don’t need this if you can log in locally, but I highly recommend having such a cable (either the pin 8,10 serial UART USB cable, or just a micro-B USB cable depending on the model you have…see the instructions for your model to find out if it uses a micro-USB cable versus a separate UART cable).
  • On the host PC, if you monitor “dmesg --follow”, and if you have a micro-B cable connected from Jetson to host PC, then it can be useful to do the unplug/replug, but you have to explicitly say that the Jetson is either (A) running, or (B) in recovery mode during that reconnect.
  • On both host PC and Jetson, it would be useful to show this output (and clearly specify whether the output is from the Jetson or the host PC):
ifconfig
route
# Optional, but useful if USB is involved:
lsusb -d 0955:
  • Note that the USB virtual ethernet device would have an IP address on the Jetson of 192.168.55.1, and if this shows up on host PC, it’s address there is 192.168.55.100. We are looking for that (in the case of USB), but a route also has to be correct, so we need the pair of logs.
  • In the case of wired ethernet, you can ignore the “lsusb”, it’ll just clutter things up, but you still need “ifconfig” and “route”. Then we can examine the issue, but I suggest to start with for wired ethernet, that you leave it connected while booting and don’t disconnect/reconnect (at least not at first).
  • For wired, if it doesn’t work, and you have the logs reported, then it might be useful to monitor “dmesg --follow”, and see what shows up after the command “sudo dhclient”.
  • I don’t do much with Wi-Fi, but if you were reporting Wi-Fi difficulties, then it would be useful to also include the log of output from:
rfkill
iwconfig
1 Like

I use the USB-microUSB cable and minicom does also work on /dev/ttyACM0 that being generated when the cable is pluged in. Thank you all.

So are you able to interact with the device through that node?

1 Like

Yeah, by using minicom, I can log in Jetson board, change its IP addr to static.
Then, I can interact host-Jetson by using USB-LAN cable and ssh like usual.

1 Like

Connecting to a router should also work if it allows DHCP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.