Issue with Turing profiling: all counters are 0 (solved - driver 415.34)

We have this DXR application, when I run it on a Titan Volta, the “Range Profiler” correctly shows the utilization of the different GPU components.

When I run the same application on an RTX 2080, all counters are 0.

Is this a known limitation ? I couldn’t find any information whether the “Range Profiler” is supported on the new GPUs or not.

Greetings,
Vladimir Nedev

Hi,

Which version of Nsight Visual Studio Edition are you using?
What is you driver version?

Thanks.

Hi,

it’s version 6.0, build number 6.0.0.18227.
I think it was installed by the CUDA 10 installer.

The driver version is 411.63.

Greetings,
Vladimir Nedev

Oh, and the Visual Studio version is Professional 2017, version 15.7.4, if that matters.

Greetings,
Vladimir Nedev

There were some release notes http://docs.nvidia.com/nsight-visual-studio-edition/5.6/Content/Release_Notes_Main.htm on this (unfortunately missed in the graphics section…will fix this)

• With the initial release of 410 and 411 drivers on Turing GPUs, profiling using DRAM metrics will result in invalid values. This problem will occur while using profiling tools such as the NVIDIA Nsight Visual Studio Edition's Compute or Graphics profilers. A fix to alleviate this condition is expected in an upcoming driver release.
  • With the initial release of 410 and 411 drivers on Turing GPUs, profiling while running background GPU processes may lead to occasional crashes in the background process. A fix to alleviate this condition is expected in an upcoming driver release. If you experience this symptom, please refrain from running any other GPU processes in the background when running profiling tools like the NVIDIA Nsight Visual Studio Edition's Compute or Graphics profilers.

We’ll update this forum thread when these the drivers are fixed.

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

Greetings,
Vladimir Nedev

The 416.34 drivers release yesterday, should fix the following issue

• With the initial release of 410 and 411 drivers on Turing GPUs, profiling using DRAM metrics will result in invalid values. This problem will occur while using profiling tools such as the NVIDIA Nsight Visual Studio Edition's Compute or Graphics profilers. A fix to alleviate this condition is expected in an upcoming driver release.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138697/en-us